Feb 27, 2014, 9:21 AM EST
Step one is now complete, and step two remains quite possible, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
These types of post-buyout signings usually get overestimated. The veterans who hit free agency, like Butler, are typically well past their prime – the reason their team would even consider buying them out in the first place – but they still hold solid name recognition. So, fans and media (and some signing teams) swoon, remember the player who once was.
Butler’s 2-point percentage and free-throw rate have nosedived in recent seasons, and MySynergySports grades him a horrid defender – signs of his waning athleticism.
But he’s developed a strong 3-point shot in recent years, and the Heat can never have too many shooters to space the floor for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Even if that skill has declined for Butler, who turns 34 in a couple weeks, he’s still shooting above NBA average from beyond the arc this season.
The Heat – or Thunder, Bulls or Spurs – would do well to sign him. He’s a useful player, and his experience makes him a reliable fit on a playoff history.
For Butler, this could be an extremely rewarding season personally. He spent part of the year playing for his hometown Milwaukee Bucks, and now he can join a team planning a playoff run. It’s the best of both worlds.
And depending how much of the $2.2 million the Bucks still owe him he’ll keep after the buy out agreement, it could be an absolutely perfect set up.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 2
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10