Feb 26, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
It’s so hard to get a good read on just how good San Antonio really is during the regular season. Sure, they are 40-16 overall, second best record in the West and fourth best in the NBA, but they are 3-11 against the rest of the top five in the West and the top two in the East.
Also, the Spurs have just not been healthy and they are resting guys to make sure they are healthy when the playoffs start. For example, Tony Parker remains out right now.
But the Spurs are getting closer to healthy as the season winds down — they get Kawhi Leonard back on Wednesday night vs. the Pistons, San Antonio announced on Wednesday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This means the Spurs will have all their players back save Parker (Patty Mills still starts at the point in his place). The Spurs start Marco Belinelli at the two (with Manu Ginobili behind him off the bench), Leonard, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter. That core took them to within a whisper (or a made free throw, or a defensive rebound) of the NBA title last year.
Whether they can do it again or if the best of the West have moved past them remains an open question, but with them finally healthy we are getting closer to answers.
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 22
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 21
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2