Feb 26, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
It’s so hard to get a good read on just how good San Antonio really is during the regular season. Sure, they are 40-16 overall, second best record in the West and fourth best in the NBA, but they are 3-11 against the rest of the top five in the West and the top two in the East.
Also, the Spurs have just not been healthy and they are resting guys to make sure they are healthy when the playoffs start. For example, Tony Parker remains out right now.
But the Spurs are getting closer to healthy as the season winds down — they get Kawhi Leonard back on Wednesday night vs. the Pistons, San Antonio announced on Wednesday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $120,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $13,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This means the Spurs will have all their players back save Parker (Patty Mills still starts at the point in his place). The Spurs start Marco Belinelli at the two (with Manu Ginobili behind him off the bench), Leonard, Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter. That core took them to within a whisper (or a made free throw, or a defensive rebound) of the NBA title last year.
Whether they can do it again or if the best of the West have moved past them remains an open question, but with them finally healthy we are getting closer to answers.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8