DeMarcus Cousins ejected after getting in face of referee (VIDEO)

Feb 26, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

It was a frustrating night for DeMarcus Cousins and the Kings — from the opening tip the Houston Rockets  petty much did whatever they wanted. Houston led by 25 in the first quarter and never looked back — and in the third quarter that frustration bubbled over.

Cousins had just gotten called for a foul on Dwight Howard — Howard missed an alley-oop dunk and Cousins was called for the foul although there wasn’t much contact — and that set him off. He can’t let things go and that came through again. While his coach Mike Malone tried to make Cousins’ case more rationally to referee Courtney Kirkland the center jumped in, started yelling and had to be restrained. That got him a second technical and sent to the showers.

After the game Cousins apologized on twitter.

We’ll see if that keeps this at just a fine or if Cousins gets a suspension.

That was technical number 15 for Cousins this season, the next one triggers and automatic one-game suspension. This was the first ejection this season for Cousins (that happened four times last year).

James Harden had 22 of his 43 on the night in the first quarter as the Rockets raced out to a 25 points lead and cruised the rest of the way to a 129-103 win.

1. shanelsweet - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM

What do you suppose he would have done if he hadn’t been restrained? It looks to me like he would have beat that little refs butt, and we simply can’t have players beating on the refs. That’s why my decision would be to suspend him for a game right now.

2. zickhead - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Immature as always

• spthegr8 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Starting to wonder if Big Cuz is ever gonna get it. Be a shame if he doesn’t because he can BALL!!!

3. abchome - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Fortunately the Kings have a great bouncer in Corliss Williamson.

4. monkeyhateclean - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM

To the cameras, its clear that there was minimal (if any) contact.

From that ref’s position on the baseline, Howard’s back prevents him from seeing Cousins deliberately keeping his arms down to avoid a foul. That ref probably has the worst perspective on the court, yet its his job to call or not call a foul in that situation.

This is why players flop. The refs aren’t in position to accurately call the game, so players feel like they have to exaggerate contact whenever possible.

5. giantsninerswarriors - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I’m not excusing Cousins and his poor behavior, but that wasn’t even close to a foul against Howard.

• au1978 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM

If you watch the replay in slow motion, the bottom half of Howard’s body sagged backwards mid-way as he was going to the basket. Seeing that he was in the air, I’m not sure how that happens without contact.

• spthegr8 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM

@au1978
      That was a TERRIBLE call. Don’t know what replay you watched.

6. anjac12 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:22 AM

There was absolutely No Foul on Dwight Howard. This whole thing was ridiculas from my vantage point (aprox 20 feet away). This “Ref” (Courtney Kirkland) has issues everytime that he comes to Sacramento. I’m wondering if he is from Seattle….

7. deavn - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM

You would be mad too if the ref made a bad call. If there was some contact made, I would have somewhat been on the ref’s side, but there was no contact at all. Really bad call. I would have been heated too.

• thomaskouns - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Being mad is one thing but taking it to the point of hurting your team
      by not being on the floor because you were ‘mad’ is another.

A lot of folks think Cousin’s ‘cares’ because he gets mad. He’d show he ‘cares’ infinitely more if he demonstrated the self-restraint not to get kicked out of the game so he could instead be helping his team to victory.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM

If the officiating is even remotely on point nowadays I would agree but they are AWFUL. Immature what he did but these refs need to be on the news some how so everyone can see how bad some of their calls are.

• kinggw - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM

A lot of the time you’d be correct, but the foul was bogus and so was the first tech. Cousins asked the ref about the foul and was not being demonstrative at all. He turned away from the ref and they he got a tech for no discernible reason.

Cousins was not necessarily justified on blowing his gasket at the end of that sequence but he does a legitimate gripe in regard to the validity of those fouls.

8. usm418 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM

It wasn’t a foul and the ref doubled down on his mistake with the tech.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM

House always wins

9. ddpenny - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Cousins’ behavior is no excuse.
    any sport is a game, emotions included. this refs and the nba is trying to get that aspect out.
    missed the 90s where any player can question calls countless times before getting a tech.

10. thevza - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I play ball in a crappy rec league for one of the worst teams in the rec league, and let me tell you when I get whistled for a phantom call it gets my blood boiling. Normally I’m a pretty calm dude but I’ve picked up technical fouls yelling at the refs. There’s just something about the injustice of getting penalized when you know you made an earnest attempt at playing good defense and yet the ref saw something else because he was in a bad position or whatever. This can multiply when you face that same referee again in another game and get another bad call. I can understand the emotion of Cousins.
    Then again, if I was him I would probably take a deep breath and think about my bank account to cheer me up…

11. phillyfan11 - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM

If Cousins could ever get his head on straight, he could be an even better player than he already is, and that would be scary for teams.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches