Feb 26, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Zydrunas Ilgauskas played 12 of his 13 seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the franchise is repaying that devotion by retiring his #11 jersey later this season.
From the official release:
In a spectacular presentation of techno-artistry, the halftime ceremony will be one of the most memorable player tributes to ever take place at The Q as Z’s legendary career is captured in vivid 3-D video imagery projected on the Cavs basketball court. Then, watching with his family by his side, and in presence of fans and special guests that span his career, Zydrunas Ilgauskas’#11 will take its place next to Austin Carr, Nate Thurmond, Bobby “Bingo” Smith, Larry Nance, Brad Daugherty, Mark Price and the former “Voice of the Cavs,” Joe Tait. …
Cavs.com/AllforZ is a specially created microsite for fans to learn more about the legendary player who made his mark in the Cavaliers record books. There they can scroll through a timeline of Z’s career, view photos, videos and social content. Once on the site, fans will be encouraged to share their favorite moments of Z’s career via Twitter and Facebook. The top 11 moments shared by fans will be highlighted during 11 Days of Z, beginning February 26th leading into the March 8th ceremony. The number one most shared moment will be announced at the game. …
Ilgauskas, who is currently the Special Assistant to the General Manager of the Cavaliers , has stamped his name throughout the Cavaliers record books and was a core part of some of the most successful teams in Cavs history. While ranking in the top five of numerous statistical categories, Z is the all-time franchise leader in games played (771), offensive rebounds (2,336), total rebounds (5,904) and blocks (1,269) while ranking second in points scored (10,616).
The NBA does a fantastic job of remembering the legends of the game and even the individuals that meant so much to a particular team or market during their respective careers. Ilgauskus fits the latter category for the Cavaliers, and the jersey retirement seems to be well-deserved.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31