Feb 25, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
We are still waiting to see if the Philadelphia 76ers and Danny Granger are going to be able to come to a buyout agreement. While talks are ongoing, a few teams are circling like vultures just in case Granger is going to be a free agent.
The timeline is March 1 — if the Sixers buy out Granger by then he can join another team for the playoffs (he doesn’t have to join by March 1, only clear waivers by then). They have a few days work this out. Coach Brett Brown told CSNPhilly.com the team and Granger are talking but things still seem open ended.
“He is a good guy, a good person, and a hell of a player. He has different ideas on what is best for him and his family at this stage of his career. I don’t begrudge him for any of that. I think it is our job to run a business and treat people well, and we will do that. I think the timeline with Danny is still open ended.”
When they do, San Antonio could be a landing spot, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
Indiana traded granger to the Sixers at the deadline for Evan Turner, where the Sixers continued to stockpile picks. While the Miami Heat could use help at the three to give Wade rest, the Miami Herald reports that the Heat players would rather see Caron Butler cut loose and get him.
Danny Granger, 30, acquired by Philadelphia, reportedly wants a buyout so he can sign with the Heat or a Western Conference contender, and Caron Butler, 33, also will welcome Heat overtures if he gets a buyout from Milwaukee, as many expect. (It’s too early to tell if Granger will get the buyout.)
So who would be better for Miami? Heat players would clearly prefer Butler; he and Dwyane Wade are close from their days as Heat teammates, and Granger irritated the Heat’s stars by getting in their faces after fouls in the 2012 playoffs. At the time, LeBron James called Granger’s conduct “stupid.”
Somehow I think if Pat Riley struck a deal with Granger the Heat players would get over it.
That said, the next few days are going to get interesting.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13