Report: If Granger bought out Spurs have interest, maybe not Heat

Feb 25, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

We are still waiting to see if the Philadelphia 76ers and Danny Granger are going to be able to come to a buyout agreement. While talks are ongoing, a few teams are circling like vultures just in case Granger is going to be a free agent.

The timeline is March 1 — if the Sixers buy out Granger by then he can join another team for the playoffs (he doesn’t have to join by March 1, only clear waivers by then). They have a few days work this out. Coach Brett Brown told CSNPhilly.com the team and Granger are talking but things still seem open ended.

“He is a good guy, a good person, and a hell of a player. He has different ideas on what is best for him and his family at this stage of his career. I don’t begrudge him for any of that. I think it is our job to run a business and treat people well, and we will do that. I think the timeline with Danny is still open ended.”

When they do, San Antonio could be a landing spot, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.

Indiana traded granger to the Sixers at the deadline for Evan Turner, where the Sixers continued to stockpile picks. While the Miami Heat could use help at the three to give Wade rest, the Miami Herald reports that the Heat players would rather see Caron Butler cut loose and get him.

Danny Granger, 30, acquired by Philadelphia, reportedly wants a buyout so he can sign with the Heat or a Western Conference contender, and Caron Butler, 33, also will welcome Heat overtures if he gets a buyout from Milwaukee, as many expect. (It’s too early to tell if Granger will get the buyout.)

So who would be better for Miami? Heat players would clearly prefer Butler; he and Dwyane Wade are close from their days as Heat teammates, and Granger irritated the Heat’s stars by getting in their faces after fouls in the 2012 playoffs. At the time, LeBron James called Granger’s conduct “stupid.”

Somehow I think if Pat Riley struck a deal with Granger the Heat players would get over it.

That said, the next few days are going to get interesting.

1. jpa1713 - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Butler to Heat, Granger to Spurs.

• miamatt - Feb 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Yup, Butler has looked like the Heat’s guy for quite some time. It was almost a decade ago, but don’t underestimate the importance of familiarity in this case.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Got my old #4 jersey ready to go!

3. apkyletexas - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I would welcome him in San Antonio, but I don’t think he’ll get the PT he’s looking for. Popovitch is playing a ton of guys just a few minutes each per night, and letting each of them get just a handful of shots. I think a few of the younger guys are regressing this year under his capped minutes method, but maybe fresh legs for the playoffs is all he cares about anymore.

4. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM

If he were smart he would stick it out in Philly. Look like a solid player and get over paid by a contender. Must suck so much because they have such a strong chance to go the distance in Indiana….

• jbink2585 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Pacers are solid but they are still the second best team in east, Heat are champs and will stay that way HEAT IN 6 and im not even heat fan

• cruzan80 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

“HEAT IN 6 and im not even heat fan”

NOBODY believes that.

• jbink2585 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Lucky for me I don’t lose sleep over what you think or others, only reason Im in here and on this article is because Im a sixers fan and I just laugh that people think Granger has right to be bought out and actually feel bad for a person making 14 mill a year and may have to stay on a bad team for rest of year. I hate the big 3 like the rest of yous and I stand by what I saty HEAT in 6 LBJ wont let them lose.

5. beach305 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I really don’t want that punk Granger on the Heat.

6. davidly - Feb 26, 2014 at 6:11 AM

I feel for Granger, having gone from the solid all-around player, to trying to get back his rhythm off the bench, to sent packing from a contender. It had to smart, big time. So I understand his wanting to go for the buy out. However, I think he would’ve done himself better had he kept playing while negotiating the buyout. He had a chance to showcase what he could do as a starter over a few-game period and to make himself more attractive to potential suiters. Plus, it’d’ve been good realtime practice. Still, I wish him the best and will miss him in Indy.

7. csbanter - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Would it be as satisfying to win an NBA championship as a fringe player or showcasing your skills for another NBA contract ? Granger should accept the latter and be done with it. Right now his pride has taken a major hit and he’s looking to stick it to the Pacers. The Spurs have Danny Green who could have been MVP of NBA finals last year if he didn’t flame out halfway through the series. Green and Granger have a lot in common and not because of their first name.

8. unxpexted1 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I think Granger’s worth has been overvalued, even in his own mind. Don’t get me wrong, he was a really nice player and I really wanted him on the lakers beside Kobe a couple years back. Since then he’s pretty much been out for almost two years until this season and hasn’t shown much of anything. Can he contribute to a contender, I’m sure he could, but I dont think he’s the missing link to anybody’s team at the moment.

9. chaser44 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM

screw granger, if he wants to be bought out than give him a happy meal and send him on his way. Such a ridiculous scenario in the nba that players can get paid to leave and sign somewhere else and get paid again. screw him, suit up and play or go home with nothing.

• moppop - Feb 26, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You really seem to have a poor grasp of contract law.

If they ‘give him a happy meal and send him on his way’, they still need to pay him…otherwise Granger or his representative can sue for breach of contract. Contract buyout clauses are in place because it often means that the former contract holder pays less but forfiets any additional rights.

Unless Granger breaches the contract he is either due to be bought out or entitled to be payed his full salary.

10. ddpenny - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM

go the HEat. revenge is sweeter when you beat the pacers and larry bird on his chess game.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches