Feb 25, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Raymond Felton is a free man after a night in a New York City jail.
The Knicks point guard — struggling on the court and off this season — turned himself in hours after the latest Knicks loss at Madison Square Garden on a series of felony gun charges. Felton allegedly waived around a non-registered hand gun loaded with armor-piercing bullets during an argument with his estranged wife this past Valentine’s Day. It was his wife’s attorney that turned the gun into police.
After a night in a New York jail Felton has been arraigned and is now free on bail, reports the New York Times.
At 12:50 a.m., Felton turned himself in at the same station house and remained in police custody for the next 18 hours as he awaited arraignment in Manhattan criminal court. At 5:40 p.m., Felton appeared before Judge Diana Boyar to answer charges of one count of criminal possession of a firearm and one count of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree. The top charge carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison…
Boyar issued a six-month order of protection for Felton’s wife, sternly warning Felton that “you can have no contact whatsoever.” Felton said nothing during the proceedings. His lawyer, Jim Walden, said Felton had “no interest in having contact” with his wife. Moments later, Felton walked out of court after posting a $25,000 bond.
Felton is due back in court June 2, which will be after the end of the Knicks season.
It could have been worse — police originally suggested Felton be charged with using the weapon in a threatening manner, and that would have been a second felony charge.
It is criminal possession of the firearm because it is not registered to Felton.
The Knicks next game is Thursday night in Miami. Felton is expected to practice with the Knicks Wednesday and travel to Miami and play on Thursday, according to the New York Post.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2