Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EST
That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.
For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.
Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28