Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.
For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.
Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18