Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.
For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.
Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15