Pelicans’ mascot “King Cake Baby” bringing creepy back

Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.

For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.

Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).

1. volcom2143 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Can anyone in New Orleans design a mascot ?

• belleby123 - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Is that thing supposed to look like a Pelican?

• belleby123 - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Is that a loofa?

2. asimonetti88 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM

The marketing guy who signed off on this one… I want that job.

3. ws0001 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM

IT’S THE YELLOW KING!

Who knew the Smoothie King Center was in Carcosa?

4. phinagain - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM

That is just terrifying. Like Twin Peaks terrifying. Why would you want a mascot that will make children cry?

They need to figure this thing out. I’ve been to New Orleans, and there are plenty of things they could use as mascots that would not make me wish I had my blankey every time it sets foot on the court.

Of course, they already painted themselves into a corner with that odd team name. But you don’t have to make it worse!

5. nolahxc - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

They’ve used King Cake baby for a few years. It’s terrifyingly hilarious to watch this mascot come out during Mardi Gras time. I definitely don’t mind it so much because it’s just funny.

It’s really just a story now because the Pelicans’ original incarnation of Pierre the Pelican was so absolutely scary.

6. shuttaman1990 - Feb 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM

So they couldn’t just use a pelican a a mascot?

lakers all day.

7. redstar504 - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM

You forgot to mention who ever get’s the king cake baby, get’s a little more than good luck, they get the honor of buying the next king cake. The game of avoiding the baby has been one of my favorites over the years.

As far as the king cake baby. I love it!!! It is totally stupid but completely funny at the same time. Kind of a lot like the real Mardi Gras. Seriously, any one that ever saw Rex Mardi Gras Day know’s what I am talking about. Grown men wearing creepy masks and wigs throwing plastic beads while random women flash them. That’s stupid, creepy and funny all at the same time, just like king cake baby.

8. bhunter1995 - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM

That thing is staring into my soul

9. nokoolaidcowboy - Feb 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I still can’t get over them naming this team The Pelicans! Seriously, The Pelicans?

• mackcarrington - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I think 90% of sports teams nicknames don’t make any sense if you look at them.
      What is a “Knickerbocker’?
      And what do “Penguins” have to do with Pittsburgh? You can go on and on..

• redstar504 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Yes, pelicans wasn’t the best of names but if they start winning which I think with the young team they have they will indeed win, the name becomes a moot point.

Look picking the name Saints was crazy but once they got it going in the late 80’s and the present it wasn’t a stupid name at all anymore. It’s a unique name for a unique city. That could be the pelicans in a few years.

10. chiadam - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yikes!!!

11. rdav29 - Feb 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Knicks should sign him. No one is going near that guy protecting the rim.

• redstar504 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I don’t know the nicks might be looking for someone with a little better lower body strength. The legs on that thing are hilarious

12. kb2408 - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Maybe with a uni brow he would be a little less creepy? Yeah…probably not.

13. 00maltliquor - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:25 AM

I’ve got tears in my eyes I’m laughing so hard!! That is the best mascot I’ve ever seen in my life! I LOVE IT

14. grizz2202 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I can see where one might find that goofy baby scary.

But if you find Pierre the Pelican “scary”, you might want to take a long hard look at your life, and what is truly “scary” in it.

And if you are a man, it’s time to turn in your Man Card.

15. belleby123 - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I hear their next mascot, Sammy Satan, will be even better.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches