Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.
For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.
Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 4
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 7
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4