Feb 25, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
That is from friend of this blog and ESPNLosAngeles.com writer Arash Markazi, who was with the Clippers in New Orleans and snapped that photo of the new Pelicans’ mascot King Cake Baby.
For those unfamiliar, King Cake is a New Orleans tradition where a small plastic baby figurine (less than an inch long) is cooked inside a cake during Mardi Gras and the person that finds it is bestowed with good luck. (Other cultures do something similar at Christmas.) It’s a cool tradition — the full size baby figurine not so much. It brings back the nightmare fuel early days of Pierre the Pelican.
Some other photos of the new mascot (hat tip to Lang Whittaker of NBA.com’s All-Ball, who took the time to hunt these down).
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4