Feb 25, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
The Knicks can’t seem to catch a break this season, and it doesn’t look like their luck is about to change in time for Thursday’s contest in Miami against the Heat.
He is optimistic, however, about making his return to the lineup for a home game against New York that will be nationally televised.
James was off limits during the Heat’s full-contact portions of scrimmage work, so he did not wear a protective mask. But he said he’s been fitted for one and will wear it in games the next few weeks.
“Every day is better,” James said. “It’s getting better, but I haven’t been hit on it, either. It’s too soon, but I think I should be fine enough to go on Thursday. It’s only Tuesday, so we’ve got a lot of time.” …
Having worn a mask earlier in his career to protect a broken cheekbone, James said he’s familiar with the discomfort playing with the contraption on his face.
“It’s a difficult challenge … it feels like something, someone has a hand constantly in your face,” James said. “It’s like an added defender you don’t want.”
It may be a challenge playing with a mask, but James didn’t seem too affected by it the last time he was in that situation.
The Heat are 2-0 without James in the lineup this season, so the Knicks may have more trouble on the horizon regardless of whether or not the reigning MVP takes the floor.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47