Deron Williams says he knows better than bring guns to NYC

Feb 25, 2014, 10:40 PM EST

New York Knicks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

If what is alleged is true — Raymond Felton waived a gun loaded with armor-piercing bullets around during a Valentine’s Day argument with his estranged wife — then he is in a lot of trouble. As he should be. Common sense tells you that is a bad idea.

The Brooklyn Nets’ Deron Williams, a gun enthusiast, said common sense keeps him from bringing his guns into New York City period. Here’s his quote, via the New York Post.

“I got my license to carry in like 26 states, but I’m not bringing my gun to New York City,” Williams said before the Nets practiced at UCLA on Tuesday… “I know better than that.”

I think most gun owners feel the same way.

Felton is expected to practice with the Knicks on Wednesday then travel with the team to Miami for a nationally televised game, reports the Post.

1. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Everyones knows better which is why we have motor cycle gangs chasing a couple through the streets off Manhattan trying to kill them. Give people the ability to protect themselves and that whole situation would have ended in 10 seconds……

• jerseyshoregiant - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Really it would have ended in 10 seconds? In reality some of those Bikers were probably carrying and you would have ended up with a couple dead bikers and a dead family if the driver started shooting.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I used to think the same way you do. NY laws protects criminals. Thats the truth.

2. pfic15 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Gun Free Zones….safest areas around. Ask Chi-town.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Best way to keep bad guys away is by telling them you’re helpless to stop them

• Kevin S. - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Yes, escalation works so well, right Florida?

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM

You mean Chiraq

• jerze2387 - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM

As somebody from chicago whos seen my share of situations where having one would have helped immensely, 100% agree. And im very happy my CCW permit will be arriving soon.

I predict in the next 6 months, when the criminals start realizing the targets arent so easy anymore, crime decreases. And i also predict the people with licensed guns that get in trouble for using them wrongly will be a number you can count on 1 hand, if even that many

3. savvybynature - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM

NYC is actually pretty safe, especially for a major, international city. What their law enforcement is doing seems to be working.
    You just shouldn’t pack heat around NYC, and if you can’t abide by those terms, you should go somewhere else.

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Feb 26, 2014 at 7:24 AM

“NYC is pretty safe” I guess that depends on where you stay and who you ask my friend..

• zzalapski - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Every metropolitan area has good and not-so-good areas, so I’m not sure what your point is.

Also, going by the most recent year of compiled crime data, New York is nowhere near the highest of any metric per capita, in support of savvy’s post.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Manhattan is pretty safe. Go take a stroll through the South Bronx or Brownsville. Maybe you should go take a stroll in those neighborhoods before you start telling others to leave

• savvybynature - Feb 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I’ve had plenty of personal experience that makes me feel it is a safe city, yes, but it’s not just an opinion. Look up the stats on violent crime and you will see that NYC is one of the safest major cities in the Western world, that’s a fact.
      That’s not to say that there aren’t rough neighborhoods, but let me ask you this: Why would a multi-millionaire NBA player need to hang out in those neighborhoods? Answer: He doesn’t.
      So, again, people should follow the rules and they wouldn’t have these problems, especially people with the means to go virtually anywhere they want and be safe and secure. No sympathy from me for a guy who (allegedly) threatened an unarmed woman with a handgun.

4. rdav29 - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Deron hasn’t brought anything to NYC this year

• irvfin3 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM

lmaoooo

5. holleywood9 - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM

How come everyone who is a gun advocate is becoming an enthusiast???

6. shanelsweet - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM

To have your carry license in 26 states is darn impressive. I’m not surprised in the least that a man who cares that much about the subject knows not to carry in NYC. Good job, Deron!

• cgmac - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM

He more than likely has his Utah concealed permit, which is recognized by all those states. They issue to out of staters as well.

7. jerseyshoregiant - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Police said the charges don’t stem from Felton using the firearm in a menacing manner but from possessing an unregistered gun.

8. thisgrilledcheez - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM

“better than bring guns”?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches