Tom Thibodeau refuses to play your speculation game

Feb 24, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT

Tom Thibodeau AP

Tom Thibodeau is a very good basketball coach. Tom Thibodeau has had his run-ins and disagreements with Chicago Bulls management over the years, including concerns recently about the Luol Deng trade. Other teams are known to covet Thibodeau as a coach. The New York Knicks are said to be one of those teams. What the Knicks want…

Thibodeau himself is not playing this game.

Thibodeau can’t control rumors — save for the one he himself tried to start about him dating Kate Upton — all he can do is shoot them down. Which he did again tweets David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune on 87.7 FM The Game.

Thibs also said this to NBCChicago.com.

“Yeah, I’m under contract. Now, I don’t have complete control over that. They could come in and tell me they don’t want me, but I’m under contract,” Thibodeau said. “I’ve enjoyed being here. I’m planning on being here, but you never know.”

Well, maybe the end of this keeps the door cracked a little.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

But for all the problems Thibodeau has with Bulls management, could he possibly look at the Knicks management, Knicks roster and Knicks cap situation and really think that grass was greener?

This discussion is not going to go away until after the Knicks hire whomever they get to replace Mike Woodson this summer. Then the talk will die down until at least December.

1. beach305 - Feb 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I think Thibs get’s to much credit for not really doing anything that a decent coach wouldn’t get out of the same players. Now, if he can coach Boozer to play D, then that’s when I will be impressed.

• calkinsrob - Feb 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

With all due respect to Joakim Noah – I dont think a decent coach could have the bulls at 3 games over .500 when their best player is a very defensive oriented center. I dont know the exact stat, but I think almost every season Thibs has had as a coach (or asst. coach) his team has had a top 5-10 defense. Maybe he gets overhyped a little because the high energy/’no giving up’ bulls are such a good story to hear about, but he is much more than a decent coach.

• stayhigh_247 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM

dude you’re nuts! Thibs is in the top 5 of current guys coaching right now, maybe even top 3. it’s not his fault management don’t wanna spend any money on stars, but to their credit they do draft well. If he were in Brooklyn they would have a good chance of making a deep playoff run. Same thing with Memphis. The Bulls would lose their fan base if they got rid of him, not to mention piss off D Rose & Noah. The Bulls just need to get some scorers and they will be right back in the mix. I think Melo would be a great addition but I would hate to give up Taj to get him.

2. ProBasketballPundit - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Thibodeau has impressed the hell out of me in his 4 seasons as a head coach. His team has overachieved at least 3 of his 4 seasons and he’s finished with the 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 2nd (so far) ranked defense in the league. I would LOVE to see what he could do with championship level talent; probably elsewhere since his window is likely closing in Chicago.

• beach305 - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM

But how r u sure that he over achieved really? Because of injuries? Because of defense? A lot of people would say he is the cause of the injuries and doesn’t understand game management. He’s teams haven’t gotten out of the second round.

You can put a defendive minded coach in his place and get the same result the last three years.

• ProBasketballPundit - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM

He’s the only coach to earn the league’s best record in his first two seasons; so there’s that. He’s only had Derrick Rose for one post-season and they went to the Eastern Conference Finals and stole the first game in Miami before being overmatched by the healthy and in-their-primes LeBron & Wade. I’m not saying Thibs is perfect, but he’s done more than anybody expected him to every season. Maybe game management is something he’ll get better at over time.

3. unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Bulls made it to the third round during Thibs first year

Name the coach- not just a mythical ‘defensive minded’ coach who could have had more success with such an offensively challenged roster.

Bulls play very good D with only three players who would be considered ‘plus’ defenders- Noah, Butler, Gibson.

Just because ‘people say’ Thibs is the cause of Rose’s injuries- that doesn’t make it so. If you have proof of some linkage between the minutes Rose played (which weren’t excessive) and his two knee injuries- please show it. Otherwise- that is just conjecture- and ridiculous conjecture at that.

• belleby123 - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:23 AM

And after that conjecture, maybe someone can speculate on how Westbrook’s injuries came about. Or Ricky Rubio’s. Or Rajon Rondo’s. As near as I can tell from what Thibs says, he will ride out his contract with the Bulls and then go somewhere else. Unless the Bulls give him up before that, because they certainly haven’t shown any interest in keeping a competitive team together. Without Thibs there they would be the UnwatchaBulls.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview