Feb 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Metta World Peace just got a get out of jail free card.
Better than free — the Knicks are going to pay him to go away. World Peace himself confirmed that he had come to an agreement to be bought out by the Knicks and signed the papers to be waived by them on Monday. Talks along those lines picked up steam after New York was unable to trade World Peace at the deadline.
Once he clears waivers on Wednesday (it’s highly unlikely any team picks him up as he would be owed $1.6 million next season as well) World Peace will become a free agent.
So, where does he land?
Of that group the Heat and Clippers make the most sense to me as both are teams looking for depth and upgrades at the three. The Heat moved Roger Mason Jr. at the trade deadline, which opened up a roster spot.
The question is do those teams really want him?
World Peace doesn’t bring near what he used to on the court. He only got on the court for 29 games in New York (part of that due to injury but he had fallen out of the rotation) and averaged 4.8 points a game on 39.7 percent shooting overall and 31.5 percent from three (where he took a lot of shots). He also just is not the fearsome man defender he once was. He didn’t contribute much to the Knicks, but then again outside Carmelo Anthony who did.
World Peace will land on his feet somewhere by the end of the week, the only question is will it be where he wants it to be.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30