LeBron says he knows nothing about a Space Jam sequel, but he’d listen

Feb 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Duke v Miami Getty Images

Word came out of Hollywood last week that a team was being put together to make Space Jam 2, a sequel to the not really very good but loved Michael Jordan/Bugs Bunny collaboration (I suppose Warner Bros. was in there, too).

LeBron James’ name came up as attached to the project, something his people quickly shot down.

But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do it, just that there have been no discussions, LeBron told the Palm Beach Post.

Q. There were conflicting reports about you starring in a Space Jam remake.
JAMES: “It’s news to me. I haven’t heard anything about it. Like I said, I’ve always loved Space Jam 1. It was one of my favorite movies growing up. If I have the opportunity, it’d be great. But that’s news to me. Obviously I don’t want to be on there with this thing on my nose [note: a reference to his currently bandaged, broken nose]. We’ll see what happens.”

Q. No one’s approached you about it?
JAMES: “I haven’t heard about it. Maybe they’ve got it in my office. I haven’t been to my office in a while.”

If you want to parse words (as my editor Sunil Joshi did), notice how LeBron says “I’ve always loved Space Jam 1?” Would you call it “1” if there wasn’t a “2” coming? You’d just call it Space Jam like the rest of us.

Also, if you think Warner Bros. is sinking money into this — bringing on people to put the project together — having not had any contact with LeBron’s people about potential interest, you are naïve. Much like NBA teams, Hollywood studios are a business and the suits are risk averse — they don’t take steps without making sure there is some interest.

That is different than LeBron signed off on the deal or even LeBron’s agent telling him much if anything. It’s more of a “if you get it together we’d love to talk about it in more detail” and you leave it at that.

Which is to say, Space Jam 2 isn’t dead. It just hasn’t been born yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

2. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

3. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

4. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

5. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

6. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

7. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

8. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

9. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

10. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

11. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

12. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

13. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

14. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches