LeBron says he knows nothing about a Space Jam sequel, but he’d listen

Feb 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Duke v Miami Getty Images

Word came out of Hollywood last week that a team was being put together to make Space Jam 2, a sequel to the not really very good but loved Michael Jordan/Bugs Bunny collaboration (I suppose Warner Bros. was in there, too).

LeBron James’ name came up as attached to the project, something his people quickly shot down.

But that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do it, just that there have been no discussions, LeBron told the Palm Beach Post.

Q. There were conflicting reports about you starring in a Space Jam remake.
JAMES: “It’s news to me. I haven’t heard anything about it. Like I said, I’ve always loved Space Jam 1. It was one of my favorite movies growing up. If I have the opportunity, it’d be great. But that’s news to me. Obviously I don’t want to be on there with this thing on my nose [note: a reference to his currently bandaged, broken nose]. We’ll see what happens.”

Q. No one’s approached you about it?
JAMES: “I haven’t heard about it. Maybe they’ve got it in my office. I haven’t been to my office in a while.”

If you want to parse words (as my editor Sunil Joshi did), notice how LeBron says “I’ve always loved Space Jam 1?” Would you call it “1″ if there wasn’t a “2″ coming? You’d just call it Space Jam like the rest of us.

Also, if you think Warner Bros. is sinking money into this — bringing on people to put the project together — having not had any contact with LeBron’s people about potential interest, you are naïve. Much like NBA teams, Hollywood studios are a business and the suits are risk averse — they don’t take steps without making sure there is some interest.

That is different than LeBron signed off on the deal or even LeBron’s agent telling him much if anything. It’s more of a “if you get it together we’d love to talk about it in more detail” and you leave it at that.

Which is to say, Space Jam 2 isn’t dead. It just hasn’t been born yet.

1. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Feb 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM

There was already a story on this. the headline was similar as well…

2. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Feb 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM

what happens? the aliens go to clevland looking for Lebrons talent, but he already subsequently took them down to south beach..now they have to settle for Kyrie Irving’s talent??

• willkill4caffeine - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

well done by you, sir

• mackcarrington - Feb 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM

An alternate story line would be:
      The aliens go to LA looking Kobe Bryant’s talent and find him a broken down shell of his former self. They look for Jordan and find out that he’s playing executive and running his team into the ground while doing 3 AM feedings for his new babies. THEN they hear about the phenom in Miami called Lebron James.

3. suniljoshinbc - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

It’s a conspiracy, I tells ya!

4. therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Face Jam starring Lebron also starring Ibaka as the villain.

5. antistratfordian - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Nice little bit of statement analysis from Joshi. I think he’s on to something.

6. whitey11177 - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I think the MonStars took Andrew Bynum talent 2 years ago. If they’d tried to take his cheeseburger the results would have been different.

7. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Why havent any of you guys been reporting on Lebron Hair line being painted lately. Much better story……

8. cantonbound13 - Feb 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Don’t worry LeBron, they don’t drug test for movie roles.

• leahcima1 - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Hi sidcantonjerk0. Enjoying your season? :)

• cantonbound13 - Feb 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Absolutely Princess Leaha. Life is good for me. A pro basketball team’s season doesn’t effect me in any way. Too many good things going on in my life.

9. RavenzGunnerz - Feb 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM

what’s not to like. they already have some aliens roles filled. see. Chris Bosh.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Popeye Jones is Null’s Doppelganger

10. bucrightoff - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Serious question: Is there actual demand for a sequel, or is this standard Hollywood laziness in writting, so let’s just try something that worked in the past (like say the Robocop remake?)?

• asimonetti88 - Feb 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Probably a bit of both.

• antistratfordian - Feb 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM

It’s not about laziness. Because of smaller margins now – higher risk, obviously – Hollywood prefers the guaranteed audience of at least the fans of an established entity (and formula) to a potentially non-existent audience for an original idea. Can’t really blame them.

Plus, it’s hard to write a sequel that people will like that still feels somewhat fresh, so there’s nothing lazy about attempting to do that. You’re trying to recreate magic, and if you can do it – well, you’re now a magician.

I’m defending hack writers now… oh my.

• mogogo1 - Feb 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I saw about half of the original the other day flipping through channels. Let’s just say it seemed way better when I was a kid. Pretty rough going when every single human in the movie was out-acted badly by cartoon characters.

11. pharohislife - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Report: Lebron will only officially sign off on Space Jam 2 if they let him Team up with the Alien Squad halfway thru the film.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches