Feb 23, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
Jason Collins met with the media in Los Angeles before his Nets faced the Lakers on Sunday, just hours after his signing to a 10-day contract with Brooklyn became official.
Collins answered questions for several minutes, though many of his comments were unremarkable, just as his story one day hopes to be.
The discussion overall was more about his return to basketball after essentially being 10 months removed from being a part of an NBA roster, and how he will navigate that road instead of the one he’s traveling as the first openly gay member of a major professional sports franchise.
Collins did, however, have a message for other athletes who may find themselves dealing with a challenging set of circumstances.
“My message to other athletes is to be yourself,” Collins said. “Be your true authentic self, and never be afraid to be your authentic self.”
The entire press conference with Collins from Staples Center can be seen in the video clip above.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9