Feb 23, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
Jason Collins met with the media in Los Angeles before his Nets faced the Lakers on Sunday, just hours after his signing to a 10-day contract with Brooklyn became official.
Collins answered questions for several minutes, though many of his comments were unremarkable, just as his story one day hopes to be.
The discussion overall was more about his return to basketball after essentially being 10 months removed from being a part of an NBA roster, and how he will navigate that road instead of the one he’s traveling as the first openly gay member of a major professional sports franchise.
Collins did, however, have a message for other athletes who may find themselves dealing with a challenging set of circumstances.
“My message to other athletes is to be yourself,” Collins said. “Be your true authentic self, and never be afraid to be your authentic self.”
The entire press conference with Collins from Staples Center can be seen in the video clip above.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17