Feb 23, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The subject of a buyout was brought up almost immediately by Granger’s camp, and the Sixers aren’t opposed to negotiating one, considering that they’re looking to give younger players the bulk of the minutes to develop them for the future rather than play veterans like Granger to try and notch meaningless wins this season.
Granger hasn’t yet practiced with the Sixers, but head coach Brett Brown said he expects to meet with him in advance of any buyout discussions.
When the curtain went up on Sunday’s Sixers practice there was no sign of Danny Granger. Brett Brown confirmed that Granger, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, had not attended the practice.
“Sam [Hinkie] has met with him,” Brown explained. “He has done his physical. He will come back and I will sit down with him for the first time now that the physicals have been had and talk with him.”
There is very much a feeling that Granger would like a buyout from the Sixers and one league source says the Sixers would be willing to negotiate that.
It’s tough to envision a scenario where Granger stays in Philadelphia for the remainder of the season, no matter the outcome of his meeting with Brown.
Granger is going to want the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful role for a team destined for the postseason — not only because it’s more fun to play for a winner, but also because he needs to prove he can still be a factor for someone before he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 16
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 3
- PBT Extra: Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan matchup key part of Clippers vs. Rockets 2
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 22
- PBT Second Round Playoff Preview: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Houston Rockets 10