Feb 23, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The subject of a buyout was brought up almost immediately by Granger’s camp, and the Sixers aren’t opposed to negotiating one, considering that they’re looking to give younger players the bulk of the minutes to develop them for the future rather than play veterans like Granger to try and notch meaningless wins this season.
Granger hasn’t yet practiced with the Sixers, but head coach Brett Brown said he expects to meet with him in advance of any buyout discussions.
When the curtain went up on Sunday’s Sixers practice there was no sign of Danny Granger. Brett Brown confirmed that Granger, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, had not attended the practice.
“Sam [Hinkie] has met with him,” Brown explained. “He has done his physical. He will come back and I will sit down with him for the first time now that the physicals have been had and talk with him.”
There is very much a feeling that Granger would like a buyout from the Sixers and one league source says the Sixers would be willing to negotiate that.
It’s tough to envision a scenario where Granger stays in Philadelphia for the remainder of the season, no matter the outcome of his meeting with Brown.
Granger is going to want the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful role for a team destined for the postseason — not only because it’s more fun to play for a winner, but also because he needs to prove he can still be a factor for someone before he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 7
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6