Feb 23, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
The subject of a buyout was brought up almost immediately by Granger’s camp, and the Sixers aren’t opposed to negotiating one, considering that they’re looking to give younger players the bulk of the minutes to develop them for the future rather than play veterans like Granger to try and notch meaningless wins this season.
Granger hasn’t yet practiced with the Sixers, but head coach Brett Brown said he expects to meet with him in advance of any buyout discussions.
When the curtain went up on Sunday’s Sixers practice there was no sign of Danny Granger. Brett Brown confirmed that Granger, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, had not attended the practice.
“Sam [Hinkie] has met with him,” Brown explained. “He has done his physical. He will come back and I will sit down with him for the first time now that the physicals have been had and talk with him.”
There is very much a feeling that Granger would like a buyout from the Sixers and one league source says the Sixers would be willing to negotiate that.
It’s tough to envision a scenario where Granger stays in Philadelphia for the remainder of the season, no matter the outcome of his meeting with Brown.
Granger is going to want the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful role for a team destined for the postseason — not only because it’s more fun to play for a winner, but also because he needs to prove he can still be a factor for someone before he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39