Feb 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
There are plenty of teams interested in signing Glen Davis for the remainder of the season after he agreed to a buyout of his contract with the Orlando Magic.
The Nets and the Clippers are believed to be the front runners, mainly because of the ties Davis has to Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in Brooklyn, and to Doc Rivers in Los Angeles stemming from their time together with the Celtics.
The recruitment from the teams has been real, though it hasn’t exactly reached epic proportions, at least in Garnett’s eyes.
From Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News:
Kevin Garnett made it clear that his recruiting of Glen “Big Baby” Davis is not a romantic courtship. There was one phone call to a good friend, a pitch from Garnett to a former teammate about joining the Nets as a free agent.
But there won’t be candy or flowers waiting at Davis’ doorstep.
“Big Baby’s not my f—–g valentine,” he declared as he ended his three-minute session with reporters.
It was a strange reaction from Garnett, especially when considering his team’s reported interest in potentially adding Jason Collins, as well. But despite the comment about Davis, Garnett seemed extremely supportive when the subject of Collins came up.
“I think it’s important that anybody who has capabilities and skill level to have a chance to do something he’s great at or one of the things he’s good at,” Garnett said. “I think it’d be biased and, in a sense racist, if you were to take that opportunity from a person.”
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 20
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8