Feb 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
There are plenty of teams interested in signing Glen Davis for the remainder of the season after he agreed to a buyout of his contract with the Orlando Magic.
The Nets and the Clippers are believed to be the front runners, mainly because of the ties Davis has to Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in Brooklyn, and to Doc Rivers in Los Angeles stemming from their time together with the Celtics.
The recruitment from the teams has been real, though it hasn’t exactly reached epic proportions, at least in Garnett’s eyes.
From Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News:
Kevin Garnett made it clear that his recruiting of Glen “Big Baby” Davis is not a romantic courtship. There was one phone call to a good friend, a pitch from Garnett to a former teammate about joining the Nets as a free agent.
But there won’t be candy or flowers waiting at Davis’ doorstep.
“Big Baby’s not my f—–g valentine,” he declared as he ended his three-minute session with reporters.
It was a strange reaction from Garnett, especially when considering his team’s reported interest in potentially adding Jason Collins, as well. But despite the comment about Davis, Garnett seemed extremely supportive when the subject of Collins came up.
“I think it’s important that anybody who has capabilities and skill level to have a chance to do something he’s great at or one of the things he’s good at,” Garnett said. “I think it’d be biased and, in a sense racist, if you were to take that opportunity from a person.”
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14