Feb 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
A veteran like Terry doesn’t exactly fit into the rebuilding Kings’ plans, and his inclusion in the package for Thornton was strictly a salary cap-related issue.
But unlike many others in similar situations who will see their contracts bought out and be able to catch on with another team as a free agent, the Kings plan to hang onto Terry, though he won’t be joining the club this season.
Kings guard Jason Terry will not join the team this season, Kings coach Michael Malone said during his weekly appearance on the Grant Napear Show.
Terry, 36, instead will rehab in Dallas in preparation for next season. Terry had left knee surgery in the offseason and hasn’t felt right all season, Malone said. …
The Kings indicated they did not plan to buyout the remainder of Terry’s contract, which has one more season on it worth $5.45 million.
Sacramento issued a release on Saturday confirming what Malone had said. And it makes sense, because the numbers agree with the assertion that Terry hasn’t been right from a health standpoint all season.
Terry averaged career lows in points (4.5), field goal percentage (36.2) and minutes played (16.3) for the Nets in 35 appearances, and scored in double figures only six times. For a veteran near the end of his career that’s built a reputation on bringing firepower off the bench, that level of production isn’t going to endear him to a contending team anytime soon.
Sacramento not wanting to offer Terry a buyout for now is a fine decision, as is the one to allow him to try to recover physically — away from the team and its youth movement — for the remainder of the season.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 12
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2