Carmelo Anthony on whether Knicks should have made a deal at trade deadline: ‘That’s not for me to say’
Feb 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony did all he could to help his team win on Friday, but as has been the case more often than not this year, his effort simply wasn’t enough.
New York dropped a double-overtime game in Orlando that left them four and a half games out of a playoff spot in the East, despite Anthony finishing with 44 points and 11 rebounds.
The trade deadline came and went without the Knicks making any deals, and that’s probably a good thing considering what they were about to get back in exchange for Iman Shumpert. Anthony wasn’t interested in discussing his team’s lack of improvement after the loss, however, essentially saying that it wasn’t his place to comment on front office decisions.
Carmelo Anthony isn’t sure whether the Knicks standing pat at the trade deadline while their competitors improved was the right or wrong thing to do. But he knows not to dwell on it.
“We didn’t make any moves,’’ Anthony said after the latest disastrous loss, a 129-121 double-overtime defeat to the Magic on Friday night. “Should we have or not? That’s not for me to say. We didn’t, we move on. We have the same team and have to move on.’’
The difference in Anthony’s case is that he himself will be a free agent this summer, and has said specifically that he wants to see the team’s future plans before he considers whether or not to re-sign.
No deal the Knicks would have made at the deadline would have improved the team enough on paper to guarantee a playoff spot via a second half push. Anthony likely realizes that, which is why the question of what the team will do in the offseason is far more important to him than the one of what could have happened at the deadline that has already passed.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48