Carmelo Anthony on whether Knicks should have made a deal at trade deadline: ‘That’s not for me to say’
Feb 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony did all he could to help his team win on Friday, but as has been the case more often than not this year, his effort simply wasn’t enough.
New York dropped a double-overtime game in Orlando that left them four and a half games out of a playoff spot in the East, despite Anthony finishing with 44 points and 11 rebounds.
The trade deadline came and went without the Knicks making any deals, and that’s probably a good thing considering what they were about to get back in exchange for Iman Shumpert. Anthony wasn’t interested in discussing his team’s lack of improvement after the loss, however, essentially saying that it wasn’t his place to comment on front office decisions.
Carmelo Anthony isn’t sure whether the Knicks standing pat at the trade deadline while their competitors improved was the right or wrong thing to do. But he knows not to dwell on it.
“We didn’t make any moves,’’ Anthony said after the latest disastrous loss, a 129-121 double-overtime defeat to the Magic on Friday night. “Should we have or not? That’s not for me to say. We didn’t, we move on. We have the same team and have to move on.’’
The difference in Anthony’s case is that he himself will be a free agent this summer, and has said specifically that he wants to see the team’s future plans before he considers whether or not to re-sign.
No deal the Knicks would have made at the deadline would have improved the team enough on paper to guarantee a playoff spot via a second half push. Anthony likely realizes that, which is why the question of what the team will do in the offseason is far more important to him than the one of what could have happened at the deadline that has already passed.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 55
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7