Feb 21, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Danny Granger was one of the players who lost at the trade deadline — he was sent from a contender and the only team he has ever known in Indiana to the rebuilding and quite terrible Philadelphia 76ers.
Not shockingly, Granger would like to be bought out and play the rest of the season somewhere else. He just has to convince Sam Hinkie, the Sixers GM, this is a good idea.
Marc Stein of ESPN tweeted about it.
Hinkie met with the media Friday to discuss the trades and said he was open to the idea, but played his cards close to the vest, reports John Gonzalez at CSNPhilly.com.
“I think there’s a chance for us to have a discussion,” Hinkie replied. “How that goes, I don’t exactly know. He hasn’t come, but we’re organizing a flight for him to be here soon.”
As always, this really just comes down to money.
Granger is owed a pro-rated share of his $13+ million contract for this season (roughly $4.5 million) and if he’s willing to take enough of a cut of that to save the Sixers money they consider significant, the team will be open to a buyout. It’s just a matter of finding the number that works for both sides.
While Granger has been a shadow of his former self on the court this season if he is set free there would be good teams open to the idea of bringing him in (Miami created a roster spot by moving Roger Mason Jr., and they are looking for a three that can spell Dwyane Wade… you can see the fit). Granger can make it happen if he wants.
It’s just a matter of dollars. Same as it ever was.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4