Paul George says goodbye to “mentor” Danny Granger

Feb 21, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

On a serious note upset day for me losing a big brother and mentor hate to see him leave us.. You helped me so far along the way big bro! Still one of my toughest match ups.. Nothing but love for you geezy!

——————————————–

It’s easy to be cold and objective from a distance to say “Indiana made the right move trading Danny Granger for Evan Turner” (and they did) but up close in the locker room it is a tangle of emotions and difficult realties. Granger has played for no other team but the Pacers, he has roots there, and to just rip those roots up is going to cause some pain.

Paul George feels some of that pain and put the above out on Instagram.

A person close to Granger said this to the IndyStar after the trade.

“It’s a day of mixed emotions,” said a source close to Granger. “He’s obviously excited for the next chapter of his career and showing the league how ready he is. But at the same time, this organization has been very important to him for years and he’s made a ton of friends and so obviously saying bye to those close friends and teammates and others within the organization is going to be tough for he and his wife (Dionna).”

1. cruzan80 - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I don’t know how I feel about the Granger/Turner trade. At first I thought “wow, great trade for the Pacers.” Then I thought about it a little bit & I’m not so sure anymore. The Pacers are built on depth & cohesiveness. No, Granger is no longer an All Star but he’s still a solid player who knows how to play in big games witch WILL come in May. It would not have surprised me one bit if Granger had at least one big game against the Heat in the playoffs. Turner strikes me as a “looter in a riot” type player. Players who put up big numbers yet have absolutely zero effect on the team’s success worry me. Also, what does this do to their locker room? Granger was liked & respected by his teammates….I’m assuming this might leave a bitter taste in some of their mouths.

I know the numbers clearly show that Turner is an “upgrade” but imma take the “wait & see” approach with this one.

2. stlouis1baseball - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I am thankful for what Danny brought to the table during his time in Indy.
    That in mind…this was just a matter of time. He wasn’t getting the playing time and the Pacers needed something in return. It should be a win-win.

3. moseskkim - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM

im sure granger helped george’s development a lot. good trade for the pacers. they get some more offense and with scola, watson, turner.. the offense might not be so stagnant at times. you can put turner on wade/lebron and the like for short stretches and let stephenson/george take a breather whereas granger couldnt guard either.

• casualcommenter - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

It was a good trade for the Pacers.

However, trades like this are always why I don’t consider it sincere when fans criticize players for not being loyal. Fans don’t criticize their team when they sign outside free agents or trade away current players for better players. Fans shouldn’t criticize players when they act in their self-interest by leaving.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Very Well said

4. jzone954 - Feb 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Heat in 6 or 7 no matter what moves are made….

• 00maltliquor - Feb 22, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Agreed. UNLESS LBJ suffers some kind of injury.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview