O.J. Mayo ties his shoe during live action instead of playing defense (VIDEO)

Feb 21, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

O.J. Mayo is a talented offensive player, but there’s a reason he’s found himself on a different team in each of the last three seasons.

Mayo makes some questionable decisions at times that tend to drive his head coaches mad — like this one in Thursday night’s 11-point home loss to the Nuggets.

Some might not see anything wrong with this, but honestly, we’ve seen guys continue to play (and even score) after losing their shoe entirely.

The Bucks have the worst record in the league, and are currently 10-44 on the season. Coincidence?

[via Basketball Insiders]

1. sprest83 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM

At least his man wasn’t the one that scored.

• davidly - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

That’s the funniest thing ever!-D
      Maybe new commish Silver will use that fact as evidence they aren’t tanking; if they were tanking, his man would’ve scored.

2. zeedoubleyou - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I haven’t seen someone steal this much money since the last season of Breaking Bad.

Stay classy OJ.

3. bougin89 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

What a great defensive rotation by Mayo there.

4. burningrangers - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Does it really matter. The only thing that should be mattering for Milwaukee right now is keeping their tank ahead of Philly and Orlando for the top spot in the draft lottery.

• bougin89 - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Oh we’re right on schedule for that.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:07 AM

In reality bougin the worst team rarely gets the #1 when the ping pong balls have dropped. You really want to be 2-4 worst overall regular season. Sidenote: I love how you’re the “spokesperson” so to speak for the lowly Milwaukee Bucks here on this site. I’ve only met ONE Bucks fan in my entire life when I was living in Vegas (he moved from MIL) and I’ve been slightly rooting for you guys for years. Keep it real and when the Bucks finally start to come up call out ALL the new Buck frontrunners that pop up. You guys have a future, I can feel it.

• bougin89 - Feb 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Being a Bucks fan really is an exclusive(exclusive?) club. I’m also fully expecting to be picking in the 3-5 range. I just hope whatever pick we end up with it ends up being Jabari. I can hope right?

• beavertonsteve - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I checked to make sure the Bucks coach wasn’t calling in the shoe tying play from the bench.

5. strictlythedanks - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

and to think he was traded for k love

6. slaugin - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

This is why Hockey > Basketball. Gregory Campbell breaks his leg and finishes is shift OJ Mayos shoe is untied and he gives up on the play

• dablakdrphil - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Then you may want to go to the Hockey section if it’s better than basketball

• 00maltliquor - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:45 AM

FOH!!!!

7. beavertonsteve - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

If you really can’t play without your shoe being tied at least just go foul someone and stop the play.

8. spartanruss - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This just shows that OJ Mayo like the rest of the basketball viewing public has no interest in a game between the Bucks and Nuggets. I can’t believe people actually showed up to watch that game.
    The NBA could absolutely shrink the schedule and getting rid of games like this is a great place to start.
    This game doesn’t need to happen, nobody would miss this matchup. Denver does not need to play in the east and Milwaukee does not need to play teams in the west. There would be no TV money lost. Case in point, this game was on at the same time as the TNT double header. Obviously they weren’t concerned about losing viewers.
    Come on Adam Silver, stop the Insanity! Stop sending garbage teams on east or west coast road trips. Would Laker fans notice if they didn’t get a home game against the Bobcats? Would Heat or Knick fans be upset if they didn’t get to see the Sacramento Kings in person? Would they even notice? Save the unnecessary travel costs of sending teams nobody wants to watch on barnstorming trips.
    Give the people what they want. Nobody wants this crap.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 AM

You’re wrong. I would miss the game(s). Sometimes, I swear, I would rather watch the scrub teams vs. the better teams in the league. I AM a basketball junkie and a MIL vs. CHA game has just as much an appeal to me as a SAS vs. MIA matchup. There is sooo much you can learn watching many different teams and watching different games. Then again I am a very different animal and I make $$$ studying all these teams, but all games are /very interesting to me. GOD bless the NBA.

9. thomaskouns - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Dallas is a smart organization. Maybe they knew something when they decided against giving Mayo guaranteed money.

10. ProBasketballPundit - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM

This man is stealing money from the Bucks.

11. 5xchamp24 - Feb 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Although the Nuggets scored, Mayo didnt hurt his team on that play because all Foye did was stand in the corner and watched the play.

• beavertonsteve - Feb 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Really shouldn’t Foye be the one called out here? He really did just stand there.

• dondada10 - Feb 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I agree that Foye should’ve at least been in an offensive stance, but they got a lay-up. Should he have called for the ball in the short corner because there was a weird situation going on? They got a lay-up.

12. eugenesaxe1 - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Because running around 9 other guys with laces dragging the floor couldn’t possibly lead to him smacking the court face-first.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches