Feb 21, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
The real question is where does he land now?
He is being recruited by former coach Doc Rivers to the Clippers and by former teammate Kevin Garnett to the Nets, according to reports.
One clarification on Big Baby: Word is decision will come down to PT/which situation he likes best. Nets DON'T have $ edge over Clips here—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 21, 2014
Brooklyn is pursuing Davis hard too, sources tell Yahoo Sports. Kevin Garnett is working to help recruit his ex-Celtics teammate.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 21, 2014
One would think the Clipper situation would be more enticing. First he would get a lot of playing time — after Blake Griffin and D’Andre Jordan the Clippers front court rotation falls off a cliff down to Ryan Hollins. Davis would get about as much run as he could handle. Plus, he steps into a system he knows (Rivers’) and on to one of the four best teams in the West, a team just a tier away from contending.
The Nets have worked out Jason Collins but first want to see what is up with Davis, who is the better all around player. Davis will not clear waivers until Sunday, so no decision will come before then. Marc Stein explains at ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that Davis is the Nets’ top choice for the opening in their frontcourt rotation. But Brooklyn’s attentions could shift quickly back to Collins if the Nets miss out on Davis, who is being recruited hard to join the Los Angeles Clippers by former coach Doc Rivers.
It’s Rivers vs. Garnett in a battle of persuasion.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 41
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 54
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10