Feb 21, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Another trade deadline, another flurry of Rajon Rondo rumors.
Once again when the dust settles Rondo is still a Celtic. There’s a pattern here.
As with past years, reports from other teams are that the Celtics were asking the world for Rondo (the buzz is they wanted Chandler Parsons and two first round picks from Houston). Other teams balked at the price. And as with past years, when all was said and done Danny Ainge sat down and professed his love for Rondo, as he did to CSNNE.com.
“I believe he loves the city of Boston. He believes in us, in turning this thing around. There’s not a lot of stress right now because he knows he’s not 100 percent. He’s still getting healthy. I think by next year you’ll see the real Rajon Rondo. I think right now, it’s all good and we’ll just go from there.”
The real test for how much Rondo loves Boston is the summer of 2015 when he becomes a free agent. If Rondo doesn’t love Boston — or at least the rebuilding process in Boston — as much as Ainge professes, then Ainge needs to move him before then and get something in return.
Which means this summer we will get another round of Rondo rumors.
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 0
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 1
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13