Feb 21, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
And now comes the annual tradition of waiving players acquired on trade deadline day you didn’t really want…
Antawn Jamison, come on down, you’re next.
The Atlanta Hawks have waived Jamison, the team announced. If he clears waivers in 48 hours (as is expected) he will become a unrestricted free agent.
Jamison was traded to the Hawks on Thursday for the draft rights to Cenk Akyol and cash. The Clippers wanted to clear out some salary room on the roster, the Hawks got cash to make that happen. Jamison was supposed to provide L.A. a stretch four but that hadn’t worked out and he had been used in a limited role by the Clippers getting in just 22 games, averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds when he did. Jamison had been with the Lakers the year before and was used sparingly there as well. This has frustrated a proud veteran player who believes he can still contribute to a team coming off the bench.
He may get a chance to prove that somewhere if he signs as a free agent. The Hawks will not be that team, and they have already filled that roster space giving Cartier Martin another 10-day contract.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2