Feb 21, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
And now comes the annual tradition of waiving players acquired on trade deadline day you didn’t really want…
Antawn Jamison, come on down, you’re next.
The Atlanta Hawks have waived Jamison, the team announced. If he clears waivers in 48 hours (as is expected) he will become a unrestricted free agent.
Jamison was traded to the Hawks on Thursday for the draft rights to Cenk Akyol and cash. The Clippers wanted to clear out some salary room on the roster, the Hawks got cash to make that happen. Jamison was supposed to provide L.A. a stretch four but that hadn’t worked out and he had been used in a limited role by the Clippers getting in just 22 games, averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds when he did. Jamison had been with the Lakers the year before and was used sparingly there as well. This has frustrated a proud veteran player who believes he can still contribute to a team coming off the bench.
He may get a chance to prove that somewhere if he signs as a free agent. The Hawks will not be that team, and they have already filled that roster space giving Cartier Martin another 10-day contract.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65