Feb 21, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
And now comes the annual tradition of waiving players acquired on trade deadline day you didn’t really want…
Antawn Jamison, come on down, you’re next.
The Atlanta Hawks have waived Jamison, the team announced. If he clears waivers in 48 hours (as is expected) he will become a unrestricted free agent.
Jamison was traded to the Hawks on Thursday for the draft rights to Cenk Akyol and cash. The Clippers wanted to clear out some salary room on the roster, the Hawks got cash to make that happen. Jamison was supposed to provide L.A. a stretch four but that hadn’t worked out and he had been used in a limited role by the Clippers getting in just 22 games, averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds when he did. Jamison had been with the Lakers the year before and was used sparingly there as well. This has frustrated a proud veteran player who believes he can still contribute to a team coming off the bench.
He may get a chance to prove that somewhere if he signs as a free agent. The Hawks will not be that team, and they have already filled that roster space giving Cartier Martin another 10-day contract.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6