Feb 20, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
The Timberwolves still need a better backup point guard to make a playoff push – they’re outscored by 4.7 points per 100 possessions when Ricky Rubio sits (+5.8 when he plays) – so they’ve turned their attention elsewhere.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Jack has struggled in the first year of a four-year, $25.2 million contract (final year guaranteed for just $500,000). How badly do the Cavaliers want to get out of that?
By trading for Spencer Hawes, Cleveland has shown its not giving up on this season. Jack is overpaid, and his contract could soon become burdensome if it’s not already. But he helps the Cavaliers right now, swinging between both guard spots. If they’re serious about making the playoffs this, dumping Jack for only cap relief would hurt on the court right now.
A simple swap of Jack for J.J. Barea – the player mentioned in Miller rumors – works under the cap. Barea’s contract expires after next season, and he’s paid less than Jack. Cleveland would get both financial relief this season and flexibility a year or two sooner.
The Timberwolves would get their backup point guard, though at a significant cost. Although if that cost eventually leads to Kevin Love staying, it would be a bargain. Minnesota must improve to become more appealing to Love.
This really comes down to how badly the Cavaliers want to get out of Jack’s contract and how much Minnesota will pay for a backup.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 53
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9