Feb 20, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
The Timberwolves still need a better backup point guard to make a playoff push – they’re outscored by 4.7 points per 100 possessions when Ricky Rubio sits (+5.8 when he plays) – so they’ve turned their attention elsewhere.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Jack has struggled in the first year of a four-year, $25.2 million contract (final year guaranteed for just $500,000). How badly do the Cavaliers want to get out of that?
By trading for Spencer Hawes, Cleveland has shown its not giving up on this season. Jack is overpaid, and his contract could soon become burdensome if it’s not already. But he helps the Cavaliers right now, swinging between both guard spots. If they’re serious about making the playoffs this, dumping Jack for only cap relief would hurt on the court right now.
A simple swap of Jack for J.J. Barea – the player mentioned in Miller rumors – works under the cap. Barea’s contract expires after next season, and he’s paid less than Jack. Cleveland would get both financial relief this season and flexibility a year or two sooner.
The Timberwolves would get their backup point guard, though at a significant cost. Although if that cost eventually leads to Kevin Love staying, it would be a bargain. Minnesota must improve to become more appealing to Love.
This really comes down to how badly the Cavaliers want to get out of Jack’s contract and how much Minnesota will pay for a backup.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 75
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 22
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13