Spurs trade Nando De Colo to Raptors for Austin Daye

Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

Nando De Colo fell out of the Spurs rotation, and Austin Daye was even further outside the Raptors’.

Maybe a change of scenery will do both good.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

The Spurs will save a little money this season, the Raptors a little next season. De Colo is paid more this year and has an expiring contract, and Daye’s is guaranteed for $250,000 next year. The deal is pretty neutral money-wise.

De Colo will give the Raptors more depth in their backcourt, where Greivis Vasquez is their only suitable reserve. De Colo might not be any better than Toronto’s other reserve guards, but more options give the Raptors a better chance of finding someone to crack through.

Daye’s strength is supposed to be outside shooting, but he’s had more bad 3-point shooting seasons than good ones and is just 34.9 percent from beyond the arc for his career. Maybe if the Spurs allow him to focus on only 3-point shooting, their system will get him enough open looks to make playing him viable.

Most likely, though, two teams just exchanged end-of-bench fodder.

1. antistratfordian - Feb 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I think they may actually find time for Daye. I think this – “Maybe if the Spurs allow him to focus on only 3-point shooting, their system will get him enough open looks to make playing him viable” – might be barking up the right tree.

2. bucrightoff - Feb 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Danny Granger to Philly for Evan Turner? Hmmm….

3. asimonetti88 - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I was really excited when Austin Daye got drafted, but he needs to put on weight and start mixing it up down low. A 6’10″ guy shouldn’t be afraid to go into the post. He is a good shooter though, maybe he can play a Robert Horry role for San Antonio (in much more limited minutes obviously).

4. conjecture101 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

“De Colo will give the Raptors more depth in their backcourt, where Greivis Vasquez is their only suitable reserve.”

that’s not true. salmons rotates with both derozan & ross.

5. nickjackalson - Feb 21, 2014 at 8:30 AM

anytime I see Daye play, I´m worried for him since his movements always remind me of a newborn fawn, stumbling about, trying his hardest not to look to awkward…
    sheesh..don´t know how I´d move if I had legs up to my chin..
    but he sure is no elegant slasher and way to thin to mix it up inside..
    he´d rather get himself mixed up, inside
    being a big and “agile” shooter obviously doesn´t make you a KD

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview