Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Maybe a change of scenery will do both good.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
San Antonio has traded Nando De Colo to the Toronto Raptors for Austin Daye, league source tells Yahoo Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 20, 2014
The Spurs will save a little money this season, the Raptors a little next season. De Colo is paid more this year and has an expiring contract, and Daye’s is guaranteed for $250,000 next year. The deal is pretty neutral money-wise.
De Colo will give the Raptors more depth in their backcourt, where Greivis Vasquez is their only suitable reserve. De Colo might not be any better than Toronto’s other reserve guards, but more options give the Raptors a better chance of finding someone to crack through.
Daye’s strength is supposed to be outside shooting, but he’s had more bad 3-point shooting seasons than good ones and is just 34.9 percent from beyond the arc for his career. Maybe if the Spurs allow him to focus on only 3-point shooting, their system will get him enough open looks to make playing him viable.
Most likely, though, two teams just exchanged end-of-bench fodder.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 0
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 12
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 67
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34