Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
Maybe a change of scenery will do both good.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
San Antonio has traded Nando De Colo to the Toronto Raptors for Austin Daye, league source tells Yahoo Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 20, 2014
The Spurs will save a little money this season, the Raptors a little next season. De Colo is paid more this year and has an expiring contract, and Daye’s is guaranteed for $250,000 next year. The deal is pretty neutral money-wise.
De Colo will give the Raptors more depth in their backcourt, where Greivis Vasquez is their only suitable reserve. De Colo might not be any better than Toronto’s other reserve guards, but more options give the Raptors a better chance of finding someone to crack through.
Daye’s strength is supposed to be outside shooting, but he’s had more bad 3-point shooting seasons than good ones and is just 34.9 percent from beyond the arc for his career. Maybe if the Spurs allow him to focus on only 3-point shooting, their system will get him enough open looks to make playing him viable.
Most likely, though, two teams just exchanged end-of-bench fodder.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42