Feb 20, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
The Cavaliers continue their quest to try to recover from a series of unsuccessful moves that were all meant to propel the team into the playoffs this season.
Cleveland has acquired Spencer Haws from the Sixers in exchange for two second round draft picks, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. CSNPhilly.com also has the story. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that Earl Clark, whose contract is not guaranteed for next season, also goes to Philadelphia in the exchange.
The Cavs added pieces in the offseason in Jarret Jack and Earl Clark — and most notably, Andrew Bynum — that all have failed to positively impact the team’s won-loss record. They tried to correct the Bynum mistake by trading for Luol Deng, but the disfunction Deng has experienced this season make it highly unlikely that he’ll choose to re-sign in Cleveland as a free agent this summer.
Hawes is a solid center on both ends of the floor, and has averaged 13 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.3 blocked shots for Philadelphia this season, starting in all 53 of his appearances while playing 31.4 minutes per contest. The issue with Hawes is the same as it is with Deng, in that Hawes becomes an unrestricted free agent once the season is finished.
The Cavaliers will hope to do a better job convincing Hawes that their situation is a good one for him long-term, and on the Sixers side, getting two second round picks for someone they weren’t re-signing anyway is a pretty good haul for first-year GM Sam Hinkie.
Cleveland has quietly been playing better lately, and has put together a winning streak of six straight that has them just three games out of a playoff spot in the East. That was the stated goal there entering the season, and the addition of Hawes could help keep it within reach.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38