Rondo on dealing with trade rumors: ‘I can only control so much’

Feb 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

rondo Getty Images

All of the chatter leading up to Thursday’s trade deadline is a blast for fans to take in, but it’s far less enjoyable for the players whose names continually pop up as being part of reported rumors or discussions.

Rajon Rondo is an interesting case, because he seems like exactly the type of player a team in a rebuilding situation would want to use as its foundation. Rondo is an All-Star talent who has won a championship with his current team, and is devoted to both the city and the franchise.

But for a variety of reasons, Celtics GM Danny Ainge has made it known that Rondo is available in trade, albeit for a fairly steep price. Rondo has seen his name surface in these types of reports in the past, so he seems to have come up with a way to deal with it with as little stress as possible.

From CSNNE.com:

He sat down with CSNNE Celtics sideline reporter Abby Chin in Phoenix, before the C’s faced the Suns in their first game after the All-Star break on Wednesday night, and again talked of how he tunes out the rumors.

“Stay focused,” Rondo said. “I can only control so much. Right now, I’m a Celtic and I’m going to go out tonight and play as hard as I can if I’m still here.”

Rondo has forged a solid relationship with new head coach Brad Stevens, and seems well-suited to be the one to lead the team back to the postseason. But should the right offer come along, the Celtics won’t hesitate to trade him to continue their rebuilding process.

1. troybrown80 - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Anyone else notice how he’s back to wearing a headband , thought that was weird

2. jcmeyer10 - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM

I dealt with it tonight by taking 22 shots…

• kjereld615 - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Yeah Rondo did shoot 7/22 and ended up with 18 points but he did a lot more than it sounds like you’re giving him credit for. He had 7 rebounds, 10 assists, and was a +16 on the court. Also he made the shots when it counted by single handedly cutting the 11 point lead in the fourth quarter to 6 by knocking down 3 of the 7 shots he made back to back. His shot may not have been as efficient tonight but he damn sure was.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 20, 2014 at 3:26 AM

He was trying his heart out to win against a red-hot PHX team. 18 pts., 10 ast. and 7 reb. Yeah he went 7 for 22 but I tell you what I’d do almost anything to acquire a player like him. I LOVE Rondo’s game and any team would be lucky to have him. Y’all only lost by 6 points too. He affects the game in many ways. I’d kill for a player with his tenacity. He should be 100% UN-available. But blow it up Danny Boy, blow it up!

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Trying to bring his value down??

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches