Feb 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
All of the chatter leading up to Thursday’s trade deadline is a blast for fans to take in, but it’s far less enjoyable for the players whose names continually pop up as being part of reported rumors or discussions.
Rajon Rondo is an interesting case, because he seems like exactly the type of player a team in a rebuilding situation would want to use as its foundation. Rondo is an All-Star talent who has won a championship with his current team, and is devoted to both the city and the franchise.
But for a variety of reasons, Celtics GM Danny Ainge has made it known that Rondo is available in trade, albeit for a fairly steep price. Rondo has seen his name surface in these types of reports in the past, so he seems to have come up with a way to deal with it with as little stress as possible.
He sat down with CSNNE Celtics sideline reporter Abby Chin in Phoenix, before the C’s faced the Suns in their first game after the All-Star break on Wednesday night, and again talked of how he tunes out the rumors.
“Stay focused,” Rondo said. “I can only control so much. Right now, I’m a Celtic and I’m going to go out tonight and play as hard as I can if I’m still here.”
Rondo has forged a solid relationship with new head coach Brad Stevens, and seems well-suited to be the one to lead the team back to the postseason. But should the right offer come along, the Celtics won’t hesitate to trade him to continue their rebuilding process.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4