Feb 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
All of the chatter leading up to Thursday’s trade deadline is a blast for fans to take in, but it’s far less enjoyable for the players whose names continually pop up as being part of reported rumors or discussions.
Rajon Rondo is an interesting case, because he seems like exactly the type of player a team in a rebuilding situation would want to use as its foundation. Rondo is an All-Star talent who has won a championship with his current team, and is devoted to both the city and the franchise.
But for a variety of reasons, Celtics GM Danny Ainge has made it known that Rondo is available in trade, albeit for a fairly steep price. Rondo has seen his name surface in these types of reports in the past, so he seems to have come up with a way to deal with it with as little stress as possible.
He sat down with CSNNE Celtics sideline reporter Abby Chin in Phoenix, before the C’s faced the Suns in their first game after the All-Star break on Wednesday night, and again talked of how he tunes out the rumors.
“Stay focused,” Rondo said. “I can only control so much. Right now, I’m a Celtic and I’m going to go out tonight and play as hard as I can if I’m still here.”
Rondo has forged a solid relationship with new head coach Brad Stevens, and seems well-suited to be the one to lead the team back to the postseason. But should the right offer come along, the Celtics won’t hesitate to trade him to continue their rebuilding process.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18