Feb 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions eventually faded, however, and then Shumpert suffered a knee injury in Wednesday’s win in New Orleans, which clouded the picture regarding his trade value entirely.
Another team has emerged as a potential suitor for Shumpert at this late hour on deadline day, though the status of his injury may very well prevent anything from going down before 3 p.m. Eastern.
One thing to keep an eye on with Shumpert: Source says OKC has interest if MCL isn’t torn. #Knicks want a first-round pick back for Shumpert
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) February 20, 2014
Hearing Shump to Okc, even if mcl not torn, ” not likely.” Source says teams talked last night b4 Shump went down
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) February 20, 2014
Take that second one with plenty of grains of salt, but you get the idea — OKC has (or at least had) legitimate interest, and the Knicks price tag of a first round pick in return would mean nothing to a team in the thick of title contention.
Oklahoma City has a trade exception worth $2.3 million, so they could easily absorb Shumpert’s $1.7 million contract, and might be able to remain out of luxury tax territory even after a deal was completed.
Shumpert’s injury makes this a tough one for OKC to consider, however, especially with the deadline to agree to a deal less than 90 minutes away.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37