Feb 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions eventually faded, however, and then Shumpert suffered a knee injury in Wednesday’s win in New Orleans, which clouded the picture regarding his trade value entirely.
Another team has emerged as a potential suitor for Shumpert at this late hour on deadline day, though the status of his injury may very well prevent anything from going down before 3 p.m. Eastern.
One thing to keep an eye on with Shumpert: Source says OKC has interest if MCL isn’t torn. #Knicks want a first-round pick back for Shumpert
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) February 20, 2014
Hearing Shump to Okc, even if mcl not torn, ” not likely.” Source says teams talked last night b4 Shump went down
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) February 20, 2014
Take that second one with plenty of grains of salt, but you get the idea — OKC has (or at least had) legitimate interest, and the Knicks price tag of a first round pick in return would mean nothing to a team in the thick of title contention.
Oklahoma City has a trade exception worth $2.3 million, so they could easily absorb Shumpert’s $1.7 million contract, and might be able to remain out of luxury tax territory even after a deal was completed.
Shumpert’s injury makes this a tough one for OKC to consider, however, especially with the deadline to agree to a deal less than 90 minutes away.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40