Feb 20, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
It’s been expected that the Nets would look to bring in another big man this season. While they have had success with a smaller lineup since Brook Lopez went down sometimes you need a traditional big for matchup purposes.
That big man may be Jason Collins, reports Ohn Youngmisuk and Marc Stein at ESPNNewYork.com.
The Brooklyn Nets worked out Jason Collins this week in Los Angeles and are giving strong consideration to signing the free-agent center to a 10-day contract that would position him to become the NBA’s first active openly gay player, ESPN.com has learned.
Sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com that the Nets, after letting Thursday’s trade deadline pass without a deal for the Los Angeles Lakers’ Jordan Hill, are weighing the addition of another big man and have identified Collins as a prime candidate to join their frontcourt rotation via the 10-day route.
Collins came out as gay publicly to much fanfare last April and he was often touted as the first openly gay male on a major American team sports squad. Except he wasn’t. At age 35 and on the downside of his career there were limited teams that could use a veteran big for just post defense and rebounding. We’ll likely never know what role Collins being publicly gay played in the few teams that could have used him going in other directions.
However, it looks like the Nets — an organization Collins has played for before — are leaning toward him.
The Nets are currently the five seed in the East and want to more than hold on to a playoff spot, they want to catch the Toronto Raptors for the Atlantic Division lead. That’s not likely, the Raptors have by far the easiest schedule left of any team in the NBA, but that’s the target the Nets have set.
Collins may be a part of that.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38