Feb 20, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Glen Davis has been up and down for the Magic this season, but has a unique skill set that could benefit a whole host of teams.
And Orlando, in the midst of a rebuilding phase has a number of young players they’d like to check out instead of giving the somewhat established Davis those minutes.
The Magic have agreed to a contract buyout with Davis, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Magic tried hard to move Davis before Thursday’s trade deadline but were unable to find a deal to unload him. The Los Angeles Clippers are the frontrunners to sign Davis, league sources said. Clippers GM and coach Doc Rivers coached Davis with the Boston Celtics and had discussions with Orlando in recent days about acquiring him. The Brooklyn Nets, who like the Clippers are searching for a backup big man, have significant interest in Davis too, league sources said.
Davis is under contract for a season beyond this one at $6.6 million guaranteed, and it’s unclear if he took even a small discount to be let out of his deal with the Magic. But it’s the best way to proceed for both sides.
The Magic know what they had in Davis, and he clearly wasn’t going to be a part of the team’s future. Davis has averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 30.1 minutes per game for Orlando this season, while starting in 43 of his 45 appearances.
The Clippers would appear to be the primary landing spot for Davis due to his prior relationship with Rivers, though he’ll likely have plenty of other suitors if for some reason a reunion in Los Angeles ends up not working out.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 2
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10