Feb 20, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Glen Davis has been up and down for the Magic this season, but has a unique skill set that could benefit a whole host of teams.
And Orlando, in the midst of a rebuilding phase has a number of young players they’d like to check out instead of giving the somewhat established Davis those minutes.
The Magic have agreed to a contract buyout with Davis, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Magic tried hard to move Davis before Thursday’s trade deadline but were unable to find a deal to unload him. The Los Angeles Clippers are the frontrunners to sign Davis, league sources said. Clippers GM and coach Doc Rivers coached Davis with the Boston Celtics and had discussions with Orlando in recent days about acquiring him. The Brooklyn Nets, who like the Clippers are searching for a backup big man, have significant interest in Davis too, league sources said.
Davis is under contract for a season beyond this one at $6.6 million guaranteed, and it’s unclear if he took even a small discount to be let out of his deal with the Magic. But it’s the best way to proceed for both sides.
The Magic know what they had in Davis, and he clearly wasn’t going to be a part of the team’s future. Davis has averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 30.1 minutes per game for Orlando this season, while starting in 43 of his 45 appearances.
The Clippers would appear to be the primary landing spot for Davis due to his prior relationship with Rivers, though he’ll likely have plenty of other suitors if for some reason a reunion in Los Angeles ends up not working out.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 19
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 71
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14