Feb 20, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Glen Davis has been up and down for the Magic this season, but has a unique skill set that could benefit a whole host of teams.
And Orlando, in the midst of a rebuilding phase has a number of young players they’d like to check out instead of giving the somewhat established Davis those minutes.
The Magic have agreed to a contract buyout with Davis, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Magic tried hard to move Davis before Thursday’s trade deadline but were unable to find a deal to unload him. The Los Angeles Clippers are the frontrunners to sign Davis, league sources said. Clippers GM and coach Doc Rivers coached Davis with the Boston Celtics and had discussions with Orlando in recent days about acquiring him. The Brooklyn Nets, who like the Clippers are searching for a backup big man, have significant interest in Davis too, league sources said.
Davis is under contract for a season beyond this one at $6.6 million guaranteed, and it’s unclear if he took even a small discount to be let out of his deal with the Magic. But it’s the best way to proceed for both sides.
The Magic know what they had in Davis, and he clearly wasn’t going to be a part of the team’s future. Davis has averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 30.1 minutes per game for Orlando this season, while starting in 43 of his 45 appearances.
The Clippers would appear to be the primary landing spot for Davis due to his prior relationship with Rivers, though he’ll likely have plenty of other suitors if for some reason a reunion in Los Angeles ends up not working out.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 48