Feb 20, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Glen Davis has been up and down for the Magic this season, but has a unique skill set that could benefit a whole host of teams.
And Orlando, in the midst of a rebuilding phase has a number of young players they’d like to check out instead of giving the somewhat established Davis those minutes.
The Magic have agreed to a contract buyout with Davis, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Magic tried hard to move Davis before Thursday’s trade deadline but were unable to find a deal to unload him. The Los Angeles Clippers are the frontrunners to sign Davis, league sources said. Clippers GM and coach Doc Rivers coached Davis with the Boston Celtics and had discussions with Orlando in recent days about acquiring him. The Brooklyn Nets, who like the Clippers are searching for a backup big man, have significant interest in Davis too, league sources said.
Davis is under contract for a season beyond this one at $6.6 million guaranteed, and it’s unclear if he took even a small discount to be let out of his deal with the Magic. But it’s the best way to proceed for both sides.
The Magic know what they had in Davis, and he clearly wasn’t going to be a part of the team’s future. Davis has averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 30.1 minutes per game for Orlando this season, while starting in 43 of his 45 appearances.
The Clippers would appear to be the primary landing spot for Davis due to his prior relationship with Rivers, though he’ll likely have plenty of other suitors if for some reason a reunion in Los Angeles ends up not working out.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 26
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 30
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 18
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26