Feb 20, 2014, 3:04 AM EDT
Earlier on Wednesday Iman Shumpert was almost traded to the Los Angeles Clippers in a deal that fell apart mostly because nobody wants Raymond Felton and his contract (the Knicks told the Clippers they had to take it, Doc Rivers walked away at that).
Then in the Knicks game Wednesday night against the Pelicans Shumpert slipped and injured his left knee, the one where he had previously torn his ACL (you can see the video above). This latest injury appears to be an MCL sprain but the Knicks will conduct an MRI to be sure, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Shumpert left the Knicks’ 98-91 victory against New Orleans with the knee injury, and will return to New York to have an MRI on Thursday. There’s concern about possible meniscus damage that will be addressed in the examination, a source told Yahoo Sports….
The current injury ends several months of trade talks centered on Shumpert, punctuated with discussions that gathered momentum over the past several days with the Clippers.
Nobody is going to trade for Shumpert at the deadline now. He likely still will be in play for the Knicks this summer — they don’t have any other assets teams want — but teams are going to want to see him back on the court before talking trade. That’s not happening before the 3 Eastern trade deadline on Wednesday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Shumpert’s game had not progressed this season as the Knicks had hoped. To put it kindly. He’s averaging 7 points a game with a true shooting percentage of 49.6 percent. His defense has been less than stellar, too. Still a lot of teams see potential there and would be willing to trade for him, but now not until the summer.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9