Report: Iman Shumpert has MCL sprain in same knee he had surgery on

Feb 20, 2014, 3:04 AM EDT

Earlier on Wednesday Iman Shumpert was almost traded to the Los Angeles Clippers in a deal that fell apart mostly because nobody wants Raymond Felton and his contract (the Knicks told the Clippers they had to take it, Doc Rivers walked away at that).

Then in the Knicks game Wednesday night against the Pelicans Shumpert slipped and injured his left knee, the one where he had previously torn his ACL (you can see the video above). This latest injury appears to be an MCL sprain but the Knicks will conduct an MRI to be sure, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Shumpert left the Knicks’ 98-91 victory against New Orleans with the knee injury, and will return to New York to have an MRI on Thursday. There’s concern about possible meniscus damage that will be addressed in the examination, a source told Yahoo Sports….

The current injury ends several months of trade talks centered on Shumpert, punctuated with discussions that gathered momentum over the past several days with the Clippers.

Nobody is going to trade for Shumpert at the deadline now. He likely still will be in play for the Knicks this summer — they don’t have any other assets teams want — but teams are going to want to see him back on the court before talking trade. That’s not happening before the 3 Eastern trade deadline on Wednesday.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Shumpert’s game had not progressed this season as the Knicks had hoped. To put it kindly. He’s averaging 7 points a game with a true shooting percentage of 49.6 percent. His defense has been less than stellar, too. Still a lot of teams see potential there and would be willing to trade for him, but now not until the summer.

1. theblackrook - Feb 20, 2014 at 5:16 AM

I want to hear from some New York Knicks fan, I’m a Bucks fan. Would you take this trade; Larry Sanders, Ersan Ilysova and a 2nd for Andrea Bargnani and Tim Hardaway Jr?

• edenjanfar - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:01 AM

No way. I’m a knicks fan and there is NO WAY that THJ is getting traded

• cr7tique - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Well Sanders is out so doesn’t matter. Only guy I’d even think about moving Hardaway Jr. for on the Bucks is Giannis.

• bougin89 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Giannis has way more upside than Hardaway Jr. It’s not even close really.

Hardaway Jr. is the better shooter. Giannis has him on everything else.

Hardaway Jr. is also 3 and a half years older than Giannis.

• mdobrasz - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Hardaway looks like a legit star, so any thoughts of trading him are stupid. I can see him become a Kyrie Irving type

• bougin89 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I like Hardaway but that’s really pushing it. Hardaway has been a solid bench scorer and has been a good 3 point shooter but lets push the brakes on star talk yet.

Plus he plays absolutely nothing like Kyrie Irving.

• casualcommenter - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, with his 0.9 assists per game, Hardaway is basically Kyrie Irving 2.0…except for the whole, not being a point guard and not being used nearly as frequently on offense as Irving.

2. mdobrasz - Feb 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM

aaaaand now we know why the Knicks have been shopping Shump so hard…..they know his knee is dead.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I don’t think his knee is dead but his confidence was def crushed by that injury on top of a terrible coach

3. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Hopefully this means something good. I would really like to see what this kid can do under a new coach.

4. jtbsteeler - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

What happened to all those other bogus reported trades about Lowry and Teague? I told you they were bogus and sensationalized.

• casualcommenter - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Those were trade discussions, not imminent trades.

And obviously, with Shumpert suffering yet another knee injury, teams aren’t super eager to engage in trade talks with Shumpert as a key piece.

5. cruzan80 - Feb 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Like I said yesterday. I don’t understand why some Knicks fans are so high on this kid. Good….not great defender, very inconsistent on offense, a little bit of a head case & injury prone. His PER is the worse among starting SG’s in the league yet some people are acting like the Knicks are trying to trade away the second coming of Gary Payton. Tim Hardaway Jr. has flat out played him all season & minus the antics J.R. Smith is still much better than Shumpert too. These facts make him very expendable & if they get Collison for him it would be the smartest thing the Knicks did in a very long time.

6. theblackrook - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I agree with Knicks fans on Hardaway, he’s something special. I’d put up a 1st for him. I wanted him in the draft though I’m estatic with Giannis’ potential. It’s just Iman Schumpert and JR Smith aren’t going to pan out. I know they need someone good to run with Melo and with Chandler aging and Amari soft as Charmin I think you could essentially get them to go in. I Mean Sanders as a defender with Ersan as a stretch 4 with Melo is pretty good. But I think the best case scenerio is for New York to come out of this draft with one of the top talents at PG. If I were New York instead of trying to make trades to rebuild I’d keep my eyes to the draft and on Lance Stephenson. Find a way to poach him from a very good pacers team.

7. theblackrook - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I agree with Knicks fans on Hardaway, he’s something special. I’d put up a 1st for him. I wanted him in the draft though I’m estatic with Giannis’ potential. It’s just Iman Schumpert and JR Smith aren’t going to pan out. I know they need someone good to run with Melo and with Chandler aging and Amari soft as Charmin I think you could essentially get them to go in. I Mean Sanders as a defender with Ersan as a stretch 4 with Melo is pretty good. But I think the best case scenario is for New York to come out of this draft with one of the top talents at PG. If I were New York instead of trying to make trades to rebuild I’d keep my eyes to the draft and on Lance Stephenson. Find a way to poach him from a very good pacers team.

8. 00maltliquor - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Clippers fans just blew a sigh of relief that they didn’t bite.

Collison deserves more love from them anyways. He did a great job holding things down when Paul was out for his yearly routine injury.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview