Feb 20, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Because it was the same knee where he had his ACL repaired, the Knicks were holding their collective breath when Iman Shumpert went in for an MRI after tweaking his knee Wednesday night.
The results were as good as could have been hoped for — it is just a sprain and Shumpert will be out about two weeks, the team announced Thursday.
That announcement led to a rush or rumors right before the trade deadline that Shumpert could still be on the move. The Knicks had shopped him around and talks had gotten serious with the Clippers — and according to some reports with the Thunder as well — but New York had demanded that the Lakers (or any other team interested in Shumpert) had to give them a first-round pick or take the contract of Raymond Felton off their hands. The Clippers were not interested in Felton. Oklahoma City may have offered its first round pick this season, but that is going to be one of the last couple of the first round and that didn’t interest the Knicks.
This was good for the Knicks, by the way — better to stand pat this season then to use a good trade asset like Shumpert just to get Darren Collison.
Shumpert is still the starting two guard for the Knicks and a lot of teams see potential in him. However, his game has regressed this season (6.9 points a game with a true shooting percentage of 49.1) and with his restricted free agency coming up teams were not likely to offer much for a guy they can try to poach this summer.
The Knicks stood pat the deadline and are going to count on Shumpert and Raymond Felton to carry them past the Bobcats and into the playoffs.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61