Feb 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Today we start off with a heavy dose of trade rumor updates.
• Speaking of the Lakers, the Cavaliers reportedly have emerged as Brooklyn’s competition for the contract of Jordan Hill that the Lakers want to dump. Neither team want to give the Lakers anything other than salary cap relief, so the question becomes will one of them offer a little bit more to get the deal done.
• Several sources have confirmed that the New Orleans Pelicans have been granted a $4.15 million player exception for the injured Ryan Anderson, which gives them a little more room to play with if they want to make a trade deadline deal.
• The Mavericks reportedly have shown interest in Cleveland’s Luol Deng (who is available). However, they don’t really have the kind of assets that Cleveland wants. Look for Dallas to be a team that goes at Deng hard in the summer.
• However, if you’re looking for a Buck who could be moved, the smart money is still on Gary Neal, several teams interested on that front.
• In case you don’t check out TMZ, here is what Kenyon Martin said about sleeved jerseys: “I think [sleeved jerseys] are WNBA jerseys. We had to wear them on Christmas, so I had to go with it. That’s the job. You gotta wear the company uniform.”
Ugh. First Kenyon, those WNBA ladies can flat-out ball and the Knicks should have the ball movement and floor spacing the New York Liberty have. Second, as Adam Silver said at All-Star Game and we at PBT have told you before, those jerseys are exceeding sales expectations by the league and as long as that is the case you will see them.
• Denver’s Ty Lawson has joined forces with PETA and has a new ad out saying “I Choose Ink, Not Mink.”
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8