Report: Celtics interested in Utah’s Gordon Hayward. So are a lot of teams. Doesn’t mean he’ll be moved.
Feb 19, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Gordon Hayward has a lot of fans in NBA front offices. His ability to shoot it on a catch-and-shoot or off the bounce, his ability to create his own shot, the fact he’s a willing defender has a lot of teams seeing him as a good fit for what they do.
He’s also a restricted free agent this summer — one of his fans in one of those front offices is going to make an offer, the question is will the Jazz match?
Not shockingly, a team is trying to jump the line a little and trade for Hayward — the Boston Celtics, as reported by the A. Sherrod Blakley at CSNNE.com. Remember Hayward played for Boston coach Brad Stevens at Butler.
However, it’s not going to be easy to make a deal.
The Celtics have expressed some interest in acquiring Utah’s Gordon Hayward, a league source tells CSNNE.com….
Despite Utah’s desperate need for a point guard, there’s little interest in Rajon Rondo primarily because they don’t anticipate he’ll re-sign with the club beyond his current contract which is up in the summer of 2015. Jeff Green is another option, but the Jazz aren’t all that interested in him, either.
With Trey Burke in the fold, I’m not sure I’d call Utah desperate for a point guard, but Rondo would be a big upgrade. They also are right he’s not likely to re-sign there. And nobody really wants Green.
However, if the Celtics really want to loosen things up they can throw in one of first round picks they’ve been stockpiling.
But two league sources, both having had recent conversations with the Celtics, told CSNNE.com on Tuesday that Boston is “very reluctant” to part with any of their first-round picks in facilitating a deal.
Hayward is going to be interesting this summer, he’s the kind of player that can get overpaid and it would be interesting to see if the Jazz will match any offer. But don’t expect them to move him before the deadline.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 20
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14