Report: Celtics interested in Utah’s Gordon Hayward. So are a lot of teams. Doesn’t mean he’ll be moved.
Feb 19, 2014, 12:04 AM EST
Gordon Hayward has a lot of fans in NBA front offices. His ability to shoot it on a catch-and-shoot or off the bounce, his ability to create his own shot, the fact he’s a willing defender has a lot of teams seeing him as a good fit for what they do.
He’s also a restricted free agent this summer — one of his fans in one of those front offices is going to make an offer, the question is will the Jazz match?
Not shockingly, a team is trying to jump the line a little and trade for Hayward — the Boston Celtics, as reported by the A. Sherrod Blakley at CSNNE.com. Remember Hayward played for Boston coach Brad Stevens at Butler.
However, it’s not going to be easy to make a deal.
The Celtics have expressed some interest in acquiring Utah’s Gordon Hayward, a league source tells CSNNE.com….
Despite Utah’s desperate need for a point guard, there’s little interest in Rajon Rondo primarily because they don’t anticipate he’ll re-sign with the club beyond his current contract which is up in the summer of 2015. Jeff Green is another option, but the Jazz aren’t all that interested in him, either.
With Trey Burke in the fold, I’m not sure I’d call Utah desperate for a point guard, but Rondo would be a big upgrade. They also are right he’s not likely to re-sign there. And nobody really wants Green.
However, if the Celtics really want to loosen things up they can throw in one of first round picks they’ve been stockpiling.
But two league sources, both having had recent conversations with the Celtics, told CSNNE.com on Tuesday that Boston is “very reluctant” to part with any of their first-round picks in facilitating a deal.
Hayward is going to be interesting this summer, he’s the kind of player that can get overpaid and it would be interesting to see if the Jazz will match any offer. But don’t expect them to move him before the deadline.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31