Feb 19, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Ben McLemore is part of the Kings future and general manager Pete D’Alessandro wants you to know that. In no uncertain terms.
McLemore’s name popped in a trade rumor where he was part of a package suggested for Boston’s Rajon Rondo, but the deal died because Sacramento knows there is little chance (if any) Rondo would re-sign there when he becomes a free agent in 2015.
D’Alessandro went out of his way to speak to the media and deny McLemore was on the table, as reported by News 10 in Sacramento.
“So, I’m standing here today and I’m saying Ben McLemore is a guy that we have not put in deals. He’s a guy that we love here. “So, sources? I think I’m a source. We haven’t put Ben in anything,” he continued. “We look at Ben as a major part of what we’re doing long-term.”
Like most rookies, McLemore has found it an adjustment to get used to the NBA game. He is averaging 7.6 points a game and the guy considered the best shooting in the last draft is hitting just 33.1 percent of his shots from three. There are flashes but he has a ways to develop yet. That said, it is way too early to just dump a guy with this much potential.
Does that mean the Kings he is off the table in all trades? Of course not. The only untouchable on the Kings’ roster is DeMarcus Cousins. But if you’re going to get McLemore out of Sacramento you’re going to have to offer a return commiserate with what the Kings think he can become, not what he is today.
I have no doubt D’Alessandro is telling the truth and that he has never discussed McLemore in a trade. Of course, that’s not always how things work in the NBA, trades can bubble up from lower-level talks and we don’t know at what level this rumor started, which team started it, or what the goal of leaking it would be. If we take D’Alessandro at his word, this conversation never reached his level.
If nothing else, he is clearly trying to assure his young rookie that the plan is to keep him in place.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17