Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
That’s what makes a Lowry-to-the-Knicks trade so unlikely. Not only do the Knicks have to offer fair value, they must offer so much return, it pushes Toronto off its current course.
But what if the Raptors could trade Lowry and bring in a star guard right behind him?
It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If a Rondo-to-the-Raptors trade were to happen this season, it would likely start with a separate Lowry trade. I can’t see Toronto trading for Rondo with Lowry on the roster, and I can’t see the rebuilding Celtics finding much value in Lowry’s expiring contract (given Lowry’s impending payday).
More likely, the Raptors will make a harder push for Rondo in a future season, when it makes more sense for both sides. If news of those negotiations leaks then, remember Toronto’s Rondo interest runs deep.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 23
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 39
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 15
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 34