Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
That’s what makes a Lowry-to-the-Knicks trade so unlikely. Not only do the Knicks have to offer fair value, they must offer so much return, it pushes Toronto off its current course.
But what if the Raptors could trade Lowry and bring in a star guard right behind him?
It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If a Rondo-to-the-Raptors trade were to happen this season, it would likely start with a separate Lowry trade. I can’t see Toronto trading for Rondo with Lowry on the roster, and I can’t see the rebuilding Celtics finding much value in Lowry’s expiring contract (given Lowry’s impending payday).
More likely, the Raptors will make a harder push for Rondo in a future season, when it makes more sense for both sides. If news of those negotiations leaks then, remember Toronto’s Rondo interest runs deep.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31