Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
That’s what makes a Lowry-to-the-Knicks trade so unlikely. Not only do the Knicks have to offer fair value, they must offer so much return, it pushes Toronto off its current course.
But what if the Raptors could trade Lowry and bring in a star guard right behind him?
It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If a Rondo-to-the-Raptors trade were to happen this season, it would likely start with a separate Lowry trade. I can’t see Toronto trading for Rondo with Lowry on the roster, and I can’t see the rebuilding Celtics finding much value in Lowry’s expiring contract (given Lowry’s impending payday).
More likely, the Raptors will make a harder push for Rondo in a future season, when it makes more sense for both sides. If news of those negotiations leaks then, remember Toronto’s Rondo interest runs deep.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 3
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 15
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13