Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
That’s what makes a Lowry-to-the-Knicks trade so unlikely. Not only do the Knicks have to offer fair value, they must offer so much return, it pushes Toronto off its current course.
But what if the Raptors could trade Lowry and bring in a star guard right behind him?
It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If a Rondo-to-the-Raptors trade were to happen this season, it would likely start with a separate Lowry trade. I can’t see Toronto trading for Rondo with Lowry on the roster, and I can’t see the rebuilding Celtics finding much value in Lowry’s expiring contract (given Lowry’s impending payday).
More likely, the Raptors will make a harder push for Rondo in a future season, when it makes more sense for both sides. If news of those negotiations leaks then, remember Toronto’s Rondo interest runs deep.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 2
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5