Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
That’s what makes a Lowry-to-the-Knicks trade so unlikely. Not only do the Knicks have to offer fair value, they must offer so much return, it pushes Toronto off its current course.
But what if the Raptors could trade Lowry and bring in a star guard right behind him?
It’s no secret Boston has dangled four-time all-star Rajon Rondo league-wide and while the asking price is steep, he has piqued the interest of Toronto’s front office, according to multiple sources. Toronto is eager to up its “star” quotient and is also enamoured with Rondo’s resume, particularly his four all-defensive team selections (two all-NBA first team). He has many backers in the organization.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If a Rondo-to-the-Raptors trade were to happen this season, it would likely start with a separate Lowry trade. I can’t see Toronto trading for Rondo with Lowry on the roster, and I can’t see the rebuilding Celtics finding much value in Lowry’s expiring contract (given Lowry’s impending payday).
More likely, the Raptors will make a harder push for Rondo in a future season, when it makes more sense for both sides. If news of those negotiations leaks then, remember Toronto’s Rondo interest runs deep.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 6
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 18
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25