Feb 18, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The Kings have their foundation up front in DeMarcus Cousins, but they need another elite player on the perimeter. Their GM Pete D’Alessandro knows it and is going after that piece.
Like trying to land Rajon Rondo. Check out this interesting tidbit from Yahoo Sports’ Marc Spears in his weekly power rankings (hat tip Celtics’ blog).
Source said Kings and C’s discussed a deal involving Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a pick for Rajon Rondo, but Rondo wasn’t interested in re-signing with Sacramento and the Kings strongly value McLemore.
Rajon Rondo trade deadline rumors are just as much a part of February as guys waiting until the very last minute to buy Valentine’s Day gifts.
Rondo will be a free agent in 2015 and reports say he wants to keep his options open for that, which is going to make it tough to trade him. No team is really going to give up much for him if he is going to bolt in a year.
What I wonder is would Celtics GM Danny Ainge have really been open to this? If he fears he will lose Rondo to free agency he would be willing to jump at this, I would think.
Also know that a whole lot of trades are discussed like this at some level. This time of year a whole long of things are thrown around in NBA front offices, only a handful really ever come to light. Fewer still actually ever go through.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3