Feb 18, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
The new Sacramento Kings ownership and front office is aggressive. The Brooklyn Nets remain looking for players that can help them win now.
Which leads to this interesting trade rumor courtesy Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Talks have been ongoing for several days, sources said, but no agreement is imminent. The Kings and Nets have both been engaged in talks on multiple fronts with teams heading into Thursday’s NBA trade deadline.
With this move, the Kings would save about $1 million in salary next season. And the two teams would be swapping disappointing players.
Thornton is in the midst of his worst season in the NBA. Two seasons ago he was playing nearly 35 minutes a game for the Kings, scoring 18.7 points a game with a true shooting percentage of 54.4 percent and was seen as part of the Kings’ future, a volume scorer that could shoot threes and would make a good sixth man. Except he has struggled in that role and this season is shooting just 31.8 percent from three (his true shooting percentage is 48.5). Maybe a change of scenery is needed here, but if he keeps playing like this he wouldn’t help Brooklyn.
Terry’s game has been in decline for years but he was moved as part of the Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce deal to make the numbers work. He can still shoot the three (37 percent, and he still loves the right corner) but he can’t create his own shot or defend well anymore.
Reggie Evans brings energy and for that reason fans love him, and he works hard on the glass, but he is limited in just about every other way. Well, except for flopping. You’re not getting points out of him and he can be beat on defense. He’s a nice big off the bench because of his effort but he’s a role player.
This would be a gamble for the Nets, but maybe one worth taking if Thornton can regain his form. If not, he’s an expiring deal to try and move this summer or at the next deadline.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28