Feb 18, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan have played 1,638 minutes together this season — 61.7 percent of the Clippers’ total minutes this season. The next big man on the minutes list in Ryan Hollins and he has played 406 minutes. Total. Doc Rivers is riding the Griffin/Jordan combo hard because he has no choice — Hollins, Byron Mullins and most recently Hedo Turkoglu are just not near the talents.
Which is why Rivers’ wants help up front.
This has been reported before at various points during the season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reminded us of the Clippers’ deadline goal.
Clippers GM/coach Doc Rivers on the search for a big man to bolster his bench, league sources tell Yahoo.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 18, 2014
The Clippers also would like to make a move that takes them from just less than $2 million over the tax line to under it. However, both adding a big and getting under the tax is going to be difficult.
There are guys out there available at the Feb. 20 trade deadline (Rivers has a past with Brandon Bass of the Celtics) but at what cost in terms of tax and future assets? Rivers has been looking to fill this void for a while and he will try at the deadline. Then he will try again next summer.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44