Feb 18, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan have played 1,638 minutes together this season — 61.7 percent of the Clippers’ total minutes this season. The next big man on the minutes list in Ryan Hollins and he has played 406 minutes. Total. Doc Rivers is riding the Griffin/Jordan combo hard because he has no choice — Hollins, Byron Mullins and most recently Hedo Turkoglu are just not near the talents.
Which is why Rivers’ wants help up front.
This has been reported before at various points during the season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reminded us of the Clippers’ deadline goal.
The Clippers also would like to make a move that takes them from just less than $2 million over the tax line to under it. However, both adding a big and getting under the tax is going to be difficult.
There are guys out there available at the Feb. 20 trade deadline (Rivers has a past with Brandon Bass of the Celtics) but at what cost in terms of tax and future assets? Rivers has been looking to fill this void for a while and he will try at the deadline. Then he will try again next summer.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18