Feb 18, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan have played 1,638 minutes together this season — 61.7 percent of the Clippers’ total minutes this season. The next big man on the minutes list in Ryan Hollins and he has played 406 minutes. Total. Doc Rivers is riding the Griffin/Jordan combo hard because he has no choice — Hollins, Byron Mullins and most recently Hedo Turkoglu are just not near the talents.
Which is why Rivers’ wants help up front.
This has been reported before at various points during the season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reminded us of the Clippers’ deadline goal.
The Clippers also would like to make a move that takes them from just less than $2 million over the tax line to under it. However, both adding a big and getting under the tax is going to be difficult.
There are guys out there available at the Feb. 20 trade deadline (Rivers has a past with Brandon Bass of the Celtics) but at what cost in terms of tax and future assets? Rivers has been looking to fill this void for a while and he will try at the deadline. Then he will try again next summer.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 0
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24