Feb 18, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Right before the All-Star break, the Cleveland Cavaliers strung together four wins in a row. In the lowly Eastern Conference, that is enough to get you back in the playoff picture — Cleveland is the 11 seed in the East, three games back of the Charlotte Bobcats.
The Cavaliers are Kyrie Irving’s team and he has not seen his game progress this season like expected, to use the snapshot stat is PER has dropped a full point to 20.4 (he has played like a guy beaten down by everything).
If Cleveland is going to make the playoffs, they are going to need All-Star Game MVP Kyrie Irving every night.
“Regardless of whether I won MVP of this game or not, my focus level is going to remain the same after the All Star break, and that’s trying to get as many wins as possible,” Irving said just after getting handed the trophy in New Orleans. “I feel we’re doing a better job coming together as a team and competing. And we got four wins in a row coming in, which was big for us and big for our morale.”
But what about the playoffs? Back in Ohio practicing with the Cavaliers, Irving talked about it to the Associated Press.
“We’re taking it one game at a time,” Irving said. “It’s a goal in the back of our mind, but at this point we’re just trying to compete on a consistent basis every single night and come out with wins. We want to have a winning record in the second half of the season. Hopefully something amazing happens. Anything is possible.”
Possible, yes. Likely? No.
Cleveland has to get on a hot streak to jump three teams, which will be hard considering Charlotte and New York have easier schedules (although the Knicks play a lot of those games on the road). Cleveland has been bottom 10 this season in offense and defensive efficiency, Irving needs to lift the offensive side of that equation.
Cleveland’s next five games are against Philadelphia, Orlando, Toronto (twice) and Washington — those are the kind of games the Cavaliers need to win most of. Picking off wins against Oklahoma City or Memphis down the line would help, but what the Cavaliers really need to do to make the playoffs is beat the teams in their own conference.
And to do that they need MVP Kyrie.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 51
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32