Feb 18, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
UPDATE: 9:08 pm: The Clippers have made it official, saying J.J. Redick is out “indefinitely with a bulging disc in his lower back.”
While he certainly has a variety of injuries, it is the back that is the most serious. They still expect to have him back for the playoffs.
7:45 pm: This is pretty much exactly what the Spurs are doing with Tony Parker
Knowing they need him more in April and May than February, the Clippers are shutting down J.J. Redick for a few weeks to let him get healthy.
Redick is averaging 15.7 points a game for the Clippers as Doc Rivers uses him not unlike he used Ray Allen in 2008 — running off screens to get open and tire defenders, plus to space the floor. It has worked, he has been key when healthy. He has played in just 30 games for Los Angeles and missed a number before the All-Star break as well.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0