Feb 18, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
UPDATE: 9:08 pm: The Clippers have made it official, saying J.J. Redick is out “indefinitely with a bulging disc in his lower back.”
While he certainly has a variety of injuries, it is the back that is the most serious. They still expect to have him back for the playoffs.
7:45 pm: This is pretty much exactly what the Spurs are doing with Tony Parker
Knowing they need him more in April and May than February, the Clippers are shutting down J.J. Redick for a few weeks to let him get healthy.
Redick is averaging 15.7 points a game for the Clippers as Doc Rivers uses him not unlike he used Ray Allen in 2008 — running off screens to get open and tire defenders, plus to space the floor. It has worked, he has been key when healthy. He has played in just 30 games for Los Angeles and missed a number before the All-Star break as well.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13