Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
At minimum, this won’t be a completely silent week of player acquisitions before the trade deadline.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Varnado, the No. 41 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Heat out of Mississippi State, made his NBA debut last season. He played five games for the Celtics and then eight for the Heat.
This year, he’s averaged 14.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and a D-League-best 4.7 blocks per game for the Iowa Energy.
How much does shot-blocking translate from the lower league to the upper league for a 6-foot-9 player, though?. If Varnado were a little taller, he’d get more leeway.
As is, he must prove he can defend without fouling (4.0 fouls in 31.7 minutes per game in the D-League) to have a chance at carving out an NBA role – unless his shot-blocking does translate. And even then, he probably must reduce his fouls to stick.
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 15
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12
- Report: Lakers expect Kobe Bryant to miss rest of season 19