Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
At minimum, this won’t be a completely silent week of player acquisitions before the trade deadline.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Bulls will sign D-League forward Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He worked out in Chicago on Monday.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 18, 2014
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Varnado, the No. 41 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Heat out of Mississippi State, made his NBA debut last season. He played five games for the Celtics and then eight for the Heat.
This year, he’s averaged 14.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and a D-League-best 4.7 blocks per game for the Iowa Energy.
How much does shot-blocking translate from the lower league to the upper league for a 6-foot-9 player, though?. If Varnado were a little taller, he’d get more leeway.
As is, he must prove he can defend without fouling (4.0 fouls in 31.7 minutes per game in the D-League) to have a chance at carving out an NBA role – unless his shot-blocking does translate. And even then, he probably must reduce his fouls to stick.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37