Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
At minimum, this won’t be a completely silent week of player acquisitions before the trade deadline.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Varnado, the No. 41 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Heat out of Mississippi State, made his NBA debut last season. He played five games for the Celtics and then eight for the Heat.
This year, he’s averaged 14.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and a D-League-best 4.7 blocks per game for the Iowa Energy.
How much does shot-blocking translate from the lower league to the upper league for a 6-foot-9 player, though?. If Varnado were a little taller, he’d get more leeway.
As is, he must prove he can defend without fouling (4.0 fouls in 31.7 minutes per game in the D-League) to have a chance at carving out an NBA role – unless his shot-blocking does translate. And even then, he probably must reduce his fouls to stick.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15