Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
At minimum, this won’t be a completely silent week of player acquisitions before the trade deadline.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Varnado, the No. 41 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Heat out of Mississippi State, made his NBA debut last season. He played five games for the Celtics and then eight for the Heat.
This year, he’s averaged 14.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and a D-League-best 4.7 blocks per game for the Iowa Energy.
How much does shot-blocking translate from the lower league to the upper league for a 6-foot-9 player, though?. If Varnado were a little taller, he’d get more leeway.
As is, he must prove he can defend without fouling (4.0 fouls in 31.7 minutes per game in the D-League) to have a chance at carving out an NBA role – unless his shot-blocking does translate. And even then, he probably must reduce his fouls to stick.
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 0
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 8
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 34
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43