Feb 18, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
At minimum, this won’t be a completely silent week of player acquisitions before the trade deadline.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Bulls will sign D-League forward Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He worked out in Chicago on Monday.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 18, 2014
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Varnado, the No. 41 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Heat out of Mississippi State, made his NBA debut last season. He played five games for the Celtics and then eight for the Heat.
This year, he’s averaged 14.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and a D-League-best 4.7 blocks per game for the Iowa Energy.
How much does shot-blocking translate from the lower league to the upper league for a 6-foot-9 player, though?. If Varnado were a little taller, he’d get more leeway.
As is, he must prove he can defend without fouling (4.0 fouls in 31.7 minutes per game in the D-League) to have a chance at carving out an NBA role – unless his shot-blocking does translate. And even then, he probably must reduce his fouls to stick.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13