Feb 17, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Jordan Hill has slipped down Mike D’Antoni’s Lakers’ rotations behind even Chris Kaman because… actually I don’t have a good reason for you. Hill is not skilled offensive player, but what he brings is energy and the Lakers could often use that. D’Antoni’s Lakers rotations have been interesting this season. We’ll go with interesting.
The Brooklyn Nets might want to take Hill off the Lakers’ hands, using the disabled player exception they got for Brook Lopez, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Los Angeles Lakers have had discussions on a deal to send forward Jordan Hill to the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Nets have a $5.25 million disabled player exception that they can use in a trade or free-agent transaction until March 10, and could use a portion to absorb the remaining $3.5 million on Hill’s expiring contract.
But it’s not that simple, Wojnarowski notes. First, the Lakers likely want something coming back their way in addition to the luxury tax savings they get. Maybe just a second round pick, but something. Secondly, the Nets have a full roster of 15 guaranteed players, so they have to cut someone (and still pay him) to make room on the roster.
More importantly, this is a very expensive move for the Nets. Very expensive. They are so far over the luxury tax line that taking on Hill’s $3.5 million salary equals $17 million in taxes, Wojnarowski reports. I know Mikhail Prokhorov is willing to spend, but there is spending smart and then there is spending $17 million to have Jordan Hill come off your bench.
The Lakers are pretty much open to moving anyone not named Kobe Bryant off their roster. Hill is high on the list of guys they want to move. But this is an example of why the trade deadline is tight this year, making any kind of deal has become hard.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8