Feb 17, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
Brooklyn has had found it’s idenity and had some success going small this season, and they are now looking to add pieces that fit with that style — one might be adding the Lakers’ Jordan Hill, reports Adrian Wojnarowski.
Another, bigger move might be to bring in Jack and have him playing behind (and along side at times) Deron Williams. The Cavaliers and Nets are talking a Jack for Jason Terry swap, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
The Brooklyn Nets are interested in acquiring Cavaliers point guard Jarrett Jack and have had discussions about a potential trade with Cleveland involving Jason Terry, according to sources briefed on the talks.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Nets, eager to add a proven ballhandler and backcourt scorer to their bench rotation, are willing to take on the two remaining guaranteed seasons worth in excess of $12 million left on Jack’s contract despite the luxury-tax implications.
But it’s believed that the Cavs, if they decided to go ahead with such a move, would try to find a third team to absorb Terry’s contract. Terry, 36, has one season left on his deal after this one at $5.85 million and is averaging just 4.5 points on 36.2 percent shooting in 16 minutes per game.
Despite their struggles the Nets remain in a win now mode and know they could put together a run to pass the Raptors and win the Atlantic Division (they are 3.5 games back) and they know that so long as they are a 3-6 seed the second round of the playoffs are a realistic possibility. While Jack has not been his old self in Cleveland (8.5 points a game on 39.7 percent shooting) he could fit in and help the Brooklyn bench.
For the Cavaliers, this would be all about saving money. They also are close to making the playoffs but Jack and his play are not the key to that happening. But if they want to move Terry’s salary on to another team, there will have to be a sweetner.
In what is likely a slow trade deadline week, this may be as good a deal as we see. If it happens.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 4
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 4
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6