Feb 17, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Once again, the Knicks are considering slicing away part of their future flexibility for a quick fix now.
New York has been shopping around for a point guard as the play of Raymond Felton has deteriorated this season. Their original goal was Toronto’s Kyle Lowry, but they couldn’t find a quick deal then after the Rudy Gay trade the Raptors became good (relative to the Eastern Conference) and now Lowry is off the market as Toronto looks to make a little playoff run.
Their new target is Atlanta’s Jeff Teague, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
There are a few issues here and Stein touches on one of them — the Knicks have been planning for cap space in 2015 to go after free agents such as Kevin Love and others, you want to cut into that money for Jeff Teague?
The other, bigger problem, is what the Knicks can offer in a trade — Iman Shumpert isn’t going to be enough, both in terms of salary and value. The Hawks would want someone like Tim Hardaway Jr. in on the deal and the Knicks are not looking to move him. The Knicks don’t have a first round pick they can move for four years.
Teague is a solid point guard, averaging 15.6 points and 7.2 assists a night, with a true shooting percentage of 50.7 (below the league average). He’s good, if not always aggressive enough, but would be an upgrade over Felton.
But he is owed $8 million a season for three seasons after this one. Is he really worth that to the Knicks?
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 2
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 2
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23