Feb 17, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
Once again, the Knicks are considering slicing away part of their future flexibility for a quick fix now.
New York has been shopping around for a point guard as the play of Raymond Felton has deteriorated this season. Their original goal was Toronto’s Kyle Lowry, but they couldn’t find a quick deal then after the Rudy Gay trade the Raptors became good (relative to the Eastern Conference) and now Lowry is off the market as Toronto looks to make a little playoff run.
Their new target is Atlanta’s Jeff Teague, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
There are a few issues here and Stein touches on one of them — the Knicks have been planning for cap space in 2015 to go after free agents such as Kevin Love and others, you want to cut into that money for Jeff Teague?
The other, bigger problem, is what the Knicks can offer in a trade — Iman Shumpert isn’t going to be enough, both in terms of salary and value. The Hawks would want someone like Tim Hardaway Jr. in on the deal and the Knicks are not looking to move him. The Knicks don’t have a first round pick they can move for four years.
Teague is a solid point guard, averaging 15.6 points and 7.2 assists a night, with a true shooting percentage of 50.7 (below the league average). He’s good, if not always aggressive enough, but would be an upgrade over Felton.
But he is owed $8 million a season for three seasons after this one. Is he really worth that to the Knicks?
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16