Feb 17, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
NEW ORLEANS — Right now it’s a serious debate about who is the best power forward in the game — LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love lead most lists, Blake Griffin is trying to muscle in on the list, but guys like Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki still have a say in the matter.
If five years it will not be a discussion, the answer will be Anthony Davis.
Among Davis’ fans is arguably the greatest power forward of all time, Hall of Famer Karl Malone.
“I see a young man that has just flourished here, he’s embraced it, he’s worked hard,” Malone said, speaking to media during All-Star Weekend. “I get to see the Pelicans play a lot, they being on T.V and me living in Louisiana. He don’t get too excited about things, he just goes out and plays the game. He plays hard.
“I’ll be the first to admit this… when they first drafted him I wasn’t totally for sure (sold on him) because I hadn’t seen how he played with his teammates. You can truly build a great team around this young man. I love to see him play and I love the way he keeps his composure and just plays the game.”
Malone’s game was a mix of physical play and great touch — he could pass, his mid-range jumper was deadly. He sees a little of himself in the current crop of power forwards.
“They’re shooting a lot better than I did,” Malone laughed. “Kevin Love, LaMarcus (Aldridge), Blake Griffin playing on top of the rim, to me they are power forward/small forwards with the things they can do. Like I said, I love to watch them. Tim Duncan, you can call him a forward or center, I just like to see him play, it don’t matter what position he plays.
“I think the power forward position is in good hands for a lot of years.”
He’s right. And in a few years it may well be Anthony Davis then everyone else at the spot.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 0
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 7
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 4
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 34
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1