Feb 17, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
NEW ORLEANS — Right now it’s a serious debate about who is the best power forward in the game — LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love lead most lists, Blake Griffin is trying to muscle in on the list, but guys like Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki still have a say in the matter.
If five years it will not be a discussion, the answer will be Anthony Davis.
Among Davis’ fans is arguably the greatest power forward of all time, Hall of Famer Karl Malone.
“I see a young man that has just flourished here, he’s embraced it, he’s worked hard,” Malone said, speaking to media during All-Star Weekend. “I get to see the Pelicans play a lot, they being on T.V and me living in Louisiana. He don’t get too excited about things, he just goes out and plays the game. He plays hard.
“I’ll be the first to admit this… when they first drafted him I wasn’t totally for sure (sold on him) because I hadn’t seen how he played with his teammates. You can truly build a great team around this young man. I love to see him play and I love the way he keeps his composure and just plays the game.”
Malone’s game was a mix of physical play and great touch — he could pass, his mid-range jumper was deadly. He sees a little of himself in the current crop of power forwards.
“They’re shooting a lot better than I did,” Malone laughed. “Kevin Love, LaMarcus (Aldridge), Blake Griffin playing on top of the rim, to me they are power forward/small forwards with the things they can do. Like I said, I love to watch them. Tim Duncan, you can call him a forward or center, I just like to see him play, it don’t matter what position he plays.
“I think the power forward position is in good hands for a lot of years.”
He’s right. And in a few years it may well be Anthony Davis then everyone else at the spot.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8