Karl Malone is a big Anthony Davis fan

Feb 17, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

anthony Davis Getty Images

NEW ORLEANS — Right now it’s a serious debate about who is the best power forward in the game — LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love lead most lists, Blake Griffin is trying to muscle in on the list, but guys like Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki still have a say in the matter.

If five years it will not be a discussion, the answer will be Anthony Davis.

Among Davis’ fans is arguably the greatest power forward of all time, Hall of Famer Karl Malone.

“I see a young man that has just flourished here, he’s embraced it, he’s worked hard,” Malone said, speaking to media during All-Star Weekend. “I get to see the Pelicans play a lot, they being on T.V and me living in Louisiana. He don’t get too excited about things, he just goes out and plays the game. He plays hard.

“I’ll be the first to admit this… when they first drafted him I wasn’t totally for sure (sold on him) because I hadn’t seen how he played with his teammates. You can truly build a great team around this young man. I love to see him play and I love the way he keeps his composure and just plays the game.”

Malone’s game was a mix of physical play and great touch — he could pass, his mid-range jumper was deadly. He sees a little of himself in the current crop of power forwards.

“They’re shooting a lot better than I did,” Malone laughed. “Kevin Love, LaMarcus (Aldridge), Blake Griffin playing on top of the rim, to me they are power forward/small forwards with the things they can do. Like I said, I love to watch them. Tim Duncan, you can call him a forward or center, I just like to see him play, it don’t matter what position he plays.

“I think the power forward position is in good hands for a lot of years.”

He’s right. And in a few years it may well be Anthony Davis then everyone else at the spot.

1. dexterismyhero - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Maybe if he lifts a boat load of weights. But in 5 years he will not be better than Aldridge as a power forward.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Popular comment.

2. fatcamper - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM

In 5 years Lamarcus Aldridge will be 33 and Davis will be 25. My pick would be Davis, but we never know what the future will hold.

3. aboogy123456 - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I would take Davis long term over any power forward or Center in the league. Love and Aldridge aren’t exactly superstars like we’ve seen at the position in the past decade.

4. kb2408 - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM

This is a pretty good era for power forwards. I think Davis will own the league down the road. But let’s not leave B. Griffin out of the convo. The improvement he has made this season is noticeable. We talk about LBJ being a freak of nature…Blake is every bit as freaky, just in a different way! He has dominated the league WITHOUT CP3.

5. timb12 - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Did anyone else read the quote in Karl Malone voice?

6. rdav29 - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Karl Malone like squirrel. Me thinks it’s tasty. Just yummy.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Theet! Do you guaranteez it?

7. vstyle23 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Not to pat myself on the back or anything but I said Davis will be way better than D12 guaranteed and of course I was blasted…….. It’s happening!! Davis is a basketball player and D12 is athletic. Davis is a gaurd built like a center. Once he grows into His body look out!!!!

8. money2long - Feb 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM

i remember telling someone who thought davis will flop that he will end up in the hall of fame. so far so good. he looks to be on track.

9. godelleb - Feb 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM

In all likelihood, in the top power forward 5 years from now isn’t even in the league. Davis is top notch, but he is no superstar. How long did it take for Duncan to become a superstar? Some time between now and the next 5 years a new power forward will enter the league and will shortly thereafter become an actual superstar.

10. jaerba - Feb 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM

In simpler terms, 47% eFG is simply too low for a top-level big man. He’s getting more praise because of the Blazers’ success, but I’d argue it has far more to do with the ridiculous emergence of Matthews and growth of Lillard.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview