Feb 17, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
NEW ORLEANS – Blake Griffin has shown a much rounder game this season — his midrange game is solid, he has a variety of post moves and counters, his handles have stepped up the past few years.
Yet it’s the dunks we want to see, and Griffin understands that and put on a high-flying show — he shot 16-of-18 at the rim in the game, on his way to 38 points.
“It’s fun, man,” he said Sunday night after the game. “This game is for the fans. And to be able to do the things that they want to see, they don’t really want to see me shooting jump shots, so it’s cool to be able to get up and down and have fun with it. “
The All-Star Game is suited to him — runs to the rim are rewarded with alley-oops almost every time and there are no defenders trying to get in his way or make him pay any price for those runs. It’s a clear runway and Griffin took off on Sunday night.
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 0
- Phil Jackson wants Carmelo Anthony to take less money to re-sign with Knicks 20
- Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide 16
- Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player 12
- Report: James Dolan meddles into Phil Jackson’s attempts to fire Knicks employees 52