Feb 17, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
NEW ORLEANS – Blake Griffin has shown a much rounder game this season — his midrange game is solid, he has a variety of post moves and counters, his handles have stepped up the past few years.
Yet it’s the dunks we want to see, and Griffin understands that and put on a high-flying show — he shot 16-of-18 at the rim in the game, on his way to 38 points.
“It’s fun, man,” he said Sunday night after the game. “This game is for the fans. And to be able to do the things that they want to see, they don’t really want to see me shooting jump shots, so it’s cool to be able to get up and down and have fun with it. “
The All-Star Game is suited to him — runs to the rim are rewarded with alley-oops almost every time and there are no defenders trying to get in his way or make him pay any price for those runs. It’s a clear runway and Griffin took off on Sunday night.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 4
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 3
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 11
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13