Feb 17, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
NEW ORLEANS – Blake Griffin has shown a much rounder game this season — his midrange game is solid, he has a variety of post moves and counters, his handles have stepped up the past few years.
Yet it’s the dunks we want to see, and Griffin understands that and put on a high-flying show — he shot 16-of-18 at the rim in the game, on his way to 38 points.
“It’s fun, man,” he said Sunday night after the game. “This game is for the fans. And to be able to do the things that they want to see, they don’t really want to see me shooting jump shots, so it’s cool to be able to get up and down and have fun with it. “
The All-Star Game is suited to him — runs to the rim are rewarded with alley-oops almost every time and there are no defenders trying to get in his way or make him pay any price for those runs. It’s a clear runway and Griffin took off on Sunday night.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32