Feb 17, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
NEW ORLEANS — Blake Griffin has shown a much rounder game this season — his midrange game is solid, he has a variety of post moves and counters, his handles have stepped up the past few years.
Yet it’s the dunks we want to see, and Griffin understands that and put on a high-flying show — he shot 16-of-18 at the rim in the game, on his way to 38 points.
“It’s fun, man,” he said Sunday night after the game. “This game is for the fans. And to be able to do the things that they want to see, they don’t really want to see me shooting jump shots, so it’s cool to be able to get up and down and have fun with it. ”
The All-Star Game is suited to him — runs to the rim are rewarded with alley-oops almost every time and there are no defenders trying to get in his way or make him pay any price for those runs. It’s a clear runway and Griffin took off on Sunday night.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30