Feb 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
For the second year in a row, the trading deadline is shaping up to be more bust than boom.
We’ve been passing along reports that as the Thursday (Feb. 20) trade deadline approaches the seas remain calm, and not in a “before the storm” kind of way. The latest is from Ken Berger at CBSSports.com in his diary from All-Star weekend.
Trade talk at All-Star weekend has been “as slow as it’s been in a long time,” said one executive who has not received a single phone call. A lot of teams have made it known which players they are open to moving, but the problem is finding trade partners. Very few teams are willing to part with premium draft picks or take on future salary, which are the two key drivers for trades.
Berger touches on the two key issues dampening trade talks. One is the fact there are far more sellers than buyers right now — most teams that fancy themselves contenders (or close to it) are happy with their roster, or want to make tweaks (adding bench depth, for example). Outside of a possible Pau Gasol trade (and I wouldn’t call that likely as he has not been healthy) there are not likely to be any name players moved.
Also, teams are hording draft picks, and most of the sellers want prospects or draft picks back for their players. Teams know this draft is deep and GMs seem to like the next few (not as much, but they seem good). Plus, under the new CBA, rookie contracts are even more valuable because you get a potentially quality player at a reasonable price.
All of which is to say, don’t get your hopes up for a lot of big deals. We at PBT would love to see a crazy trade deadline Thursday as well — we love trades — but I just wouldn’t bet on it.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 17
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 30
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85