Feb 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The rest of the Milwaukee Bucks’ season probably doesn’t matter. They’re 9-43 and have a five-game cushion for the NBA’s worst record. It would be a pretty big upset if they don’t land the best odds in the lottery.
What matters now is developing their core.
The three players most essential to Milwaukee’s future – Giannis Antetokounmpo (by virtue of his promising start), John Henson (by virtue of his strong second season) and Larry Sanders (by virtue of his large contract) – have played just 21 minutes together all season, according to nbawowy. An intriguing mix of length and ability, they could eventually form an effective frontline – but it will take time to work out the quirks of the mix.
The Bucks won’t get that opportunity anytime soon, though. His broken eye socket will keep him off the court a while.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games – the first games after All-Star Break. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Sanders has had a miserable season, both on and off the court, since signing his four-year, $44 million contract extension. A serious injury is never anything to celebrate, but hopefully he can use this time off to set up a fresh start on the season.
Even if the Bucks can just a few games from him late to give a Antetokounmpo-Henson-Sanders frontline more experience – especially if Sanders is rejuvenated – that could help in the long run. And right now, Milwaukee should be all about the long run. That also means not rushing Sanders back before he’s ready.
You could call this a “can’t go wrong” situation for the Bucks, but with this team, it’s probably a “can’t go right.”
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 1
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 43
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 16
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 12